New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this was covered in another thread as I looked and didnt see anything. If you have an sks rifle with one of those 20rd stock fixed type magazines, is it ok under the Unsafe act for non registration and now,with Skertny's ruling on magazines and number capacity, does it mean you can load it to 20 or load it up to 10 or is that mag in violation in the 1st place?
Im sorry about the questiions but Ny has made this so confusing, I dont see how anyone can keep up with all these
crazy absurd rules. It would be alot easier to be a criminal, then I could load and have whatever i want and not worry like this.WOW!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I am not giving legal advice but my opinion is that a FIXED mag rifle has nothing to do with the ill-conceived poorly written unconstitutional so called safe act.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am not giving legal advice but my opinion is that a FIXED mag rifle has nothing to do with the ill-conceived poorly written unconstitutional so called safe act.
That's what I thought, too. Any non-removable feeding device is not a magazine and therefore not banned by SAFE. I'm probably wrong though, cause King Andy makes up rules as he goes along...

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's what I thought, too. Any non-removable feeding device is not a magazine and therefore not banned by SAFE. I'm probably wrong though, cause King Andy makes up rules as he goes along...
What?

That's totally incorrect. The feeding device on a Mosin/Mauser/SKS/etc is absolutely a magazine.

Have you even read the Act? If fixed devices aren't covered, then why is there a specific exemption for .22 fixed tube mags?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
A magazine, whether it's a fixed box magazine, a tubular magazine, or removable magazine, is still a magazine, and anything over 10 rounds is considered a large capacity ammunition feeding device (LCAFD).

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Can anyone find any sort of "official" statement that the safe act applies to fixed or non-detachable magazines? I have not seen one.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Your confusion is between what is an alleged assault weapon in the eyes of NYS, and what is the legal mags capacity whether fixed , assault or not. 2 separate issues.

1.What constitutes an *assault rifle * according to NYS

2. What mag capacity is allowed in NYS, which applies to all non or made to comply rifles and handguns.

Answer; you do not need more than 10 bullets to kill a deer.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Can anyone find any sort of "official" statement that the safe act applies to fixed or non-detachable magazines? I have not seen one.
The SAFE Act considers any magazine, fixed or detachable, to be an "ammunition feeding device", and bans any "large capacity ammunition feeding device" , aka, any that holds over 10 rounds. The only exemption was tube fed .22's.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, that (a) has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition, or * (b) contains more than seven rounds of ammunition, or (c) is obtained after the effective date of the chapter of the laws of two thousand thirteen which amended this subdivision and has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than seven rounds of ammunition ; provided, however, that such term does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition

It doesn't say "detachable" "internal" or "fixed" because it ALL magazines.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, that (a) has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition, or * (b) contains more than seven rounds of ammunition, or (c) is obtained after the effective date of the chapter of the laws of two thousand thirteen which amended this subdivision and has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than seven rounds of ammunition ; provided, however, that such term does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition

Some people only read what they want, kind of like selective hearing.

·
Registered
55 Posts

As shown above, the law doesn't discern between "attached magazine" and "detachable magazine" it only states "a magazine" Thus, SKS magazines, although being fixed, are still INCLUDED in the ban.

Don't forget the "catch all" phrase "or similar device" they threw in there. If you don't agree with my above statement, one could assume that an attached SKS magazine could be thrown in the " or similar device" category.

As mentioned by another poster, the SAFE Act states that if the high-cap magazine is 50 years old or older and can ONLY be used in rifles 50 years or older, it can be registered and kept. That is why there is a magazine registration section of the SAFE Act registration form.

So if the SKS magazine is 50 years old, you can keep it but need to register it unfortunately.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
Your confusion is between what is an alleged assault weapon in the eyes of NYS, and what is the legal mags capacity whether fixed , assault or not. 2 separate issues.

1.What constitutes an *assault rifle * according to NYS

2. What mag capacity is allowed in NYS, which applies to all non or made to comply rifles and handguns.

Answer; you do not need more than 10 bullets to kill a deer.
Hey!! Thanks for clarifying that for us!! I'm now going to sit on my pistol gripped toilet and take a cuomo! (maybe I'll send the turd in and they can register that huh? It could possibly hold more than 10 peanuts!!)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I don't know if it's legal or not and probably most of the LEO's don't know either. This BS law has EVERYONE confused.
It's just like Sabretooth said it doesn't really matter because princess andy makes it up as he goes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.