New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pistol permit records could become private as opt-out exemptions grow

Tim Idoni, Westchester's county clerk, said Friday there are 17,842 permit-holders in Westchester, up from 16,616 in 2012. Nearly 11,000 individuals, about 61 percent, have opt-outs, Idoni said.

I would have thought that all responsible firearm owners would want their records sealed, but, not according to our county clerk:

"Theoretically, 100 percent of the people could be confidential," Idoni said. "But (some) people have told me, 'I want people to know I have guns.' "

Personally, I'm galled by the idea that I had to opt out of having my personal information circulated by a governmental agency. We're supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. The government is supposed to show a "reasonable cause" to obtain a search warrant. Thus, our records should be sealed and private unless there is a court order, based on reasonable cause, to release them. The press' "right to know" is NOT a reasonable cause.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I guess it makes some sense. When I see "repeal NY Safe act" signs I think that's probably not a safe (hee hee) house to invade.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
your right phazer, opting out shouldnt be an option, people should have to "opt in" if they want. if 4473 forms are not public information then why on earth is a pistol permit? this is just their way of deterring more people from applying. Most people would want to keep that information private to the general public. putting up signs, flags or stickers on their property, etc.. is not advertising to people in the next town, or anyone else... but, they make it that way so that people who value their privacy over owning a handgun are deterred and dont bother getting the "permit".

this deterred my father for over 40 years....

·
Registered
805 Posts
While I was growing up in Orleans County, my Father always put our most recent shooting targets (cheap paper made ones taped to cardboard) right by the:
-Front Door
-Garage Door
- Rear Garage Door

Over twenty years, EVERY house up and down our road, AND the two adjoining roads were burglarized at one time or another... EXCEPT OURS! Every kid in my school knew that my entire family were good marksmen, including my Mom.

I agree that opting out is the smart thing to do to keep people that are not local from getting that sensitive information, and that's why I filled out my opt-out form. As for the local guys, sometimes it's good for them to know which houses would be very stupid to enter with illegal motives.

I guarantee that every new visitor to my parents home saw those targets and filed it into their mental recorders as this is a household that takes it's protection VERY SERIOUSLY!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
When the daughter was growing up and I was shooting bench rest or small caliber hand gun matches , I always taped them to the fridge as this gave notice to her " boyfriends " that I was ready and able to take care of business . It worked very well cause there we're a few that never came back after viewing the targets ! It's the right thing to do !IMHO !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts