New York Firearms Forum banner

SAF looses appeal in NY gun procedures case.

4K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  Shooter 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Just another case of "Legislating from the bench" by Judges ignorant on the Constitution.

#6 ·
corruption at its finest... there is no reason why a law abiding citizen should be denied the right to carry. to have to show "proper cause" is discriminatory at least.

#7 ·
1) this is old news
2) we WANTED to lose this... it means a SCOTUS case is possible.
3) The case has been filed with SCOTUS: http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/kachalsky/Kachalsky-Cert-Petition-2013-01-08.pdf. It was filed on January 8th. I don't think they have decided yet on whether or not to hear the case (though I could be wrong on that), but given that there are two conflicting federal cases, it's likely that SCOTUS will take this case.

#8 ·
It better hit SCOTUS before one of the old judges there dies and Obama puts one of his crew in the seat.

Anyway: Second Amendment Foundation Online apparently SAF has been on a role with cases just like this one.

I think it's a weak ruling. Does anybody have stats on what percentage of gun homicides in NY are orchestrated in public by concealed carry holders? I bet the number is truly minute.

#10 ·
Before any one makes a snap judgement at what I'm about to say. Please hear me out....

If this decision is to stand. Then, ( this is where I want you to hear me out) I must say I agree. I agree, you should show proper cause to carry concealed. Now with that said, I do not agree with this decision on the grounds that it is questionable ( and not trying to get in to this debate) as to you can open carry. So in short, if the court were to rule that "OC" would be legal and you needed to show proper cause to "CC" then I would agree.

#13 ·
In a sense, this may be good news. This case parallels the Sheridan case (MD) also argued by SAF, where they won at the circuit level. If I understand this correctly, that means we now have a circuit split which ups the odds that SCOTUS will hear the case sooner rather than later.

#14 ·
yes, was back in November. But it is in direct conflict with a decision from Maryland (4th circuit I believe) and also now in conflict with the recent decision in Illinois by famous judge Richard Posner that is now forcing IL to adopt CCW permitting. This is very clearly heading to the SCOTUS.

#19 ·
The nice thing about this ruling is that it contradicts another district Appeals court ruling in the Maryland case. Now it should move to the supreme court because of the conflicting rulings from the district courts.

#26 ·
Too bad this argument fell on so many deaf ears last fall. Mitt Romney got fewer votes than John McCain, for God's sake. Too bad, because Obama's vote total was down, like, 13% from four years earlier...he was very beatable. Well, no surprise, we got what we voted for, and now we have to live with the consequences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.