New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a NY compliant m&p 15, love the gun just was wondering if it was possible ( and legal) to get the barrel threaded for a compensator or muzzle break?
thanks!

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Yes but it has to be pinned and no flash hiders. You can also get it shortened but the overall length with pinned comp or break has to be 16".

·
Registered
528 Posts
so i have a NY compliant m&p 15, love the gun just was wondering if it was possible ( and legal) to get the barrel threaded for a compensator or muzzle break?
thanks!
Sure as long as:

1) The OAL of the barrel + muzzle device is a 16+" (This is NFA, not NY AWB).
2) The muzzle device is a brake or compensator and not a flash hider or not also a flash hider (in the case of certain combo devices like the A2 birdcage).
3) The muzzle device is permanently attached (solder or blind pinned).

If the device is legal according to the NY AWB, and is perm attached, it doesn't matter that there's threading underneath.

Bare threading and/or non-perm attached will get you in trouble (given that you have another one of the evil features).

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay cool thanks guys i am thinking of just buying a new barrel, all and all it may be more cost effective

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would not buy a new barrel, the 15 Sport actually has a very nice barrel and you would have to pay a pretty penny to get another with the same rifleing and I don't think any other than Smith are Melonite coated. Just have a good smith do it, prolly cost you about 100 bucks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would not buy a new barrel, the 15 Sport actually has a very nice barrel and you would have to pay a pretty penny to get another with the same rifleing and I don't think any other than Smith are Melonite coated. Just have a good smith do it, prolly cost you about 100 bucks.
okay cool, yeah i really like the barrel that's why i just want to thread it. i am going to look around for a gunsmith to do it.you wouldn't happen to have any suggestions on a muzzle break or compensator?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I would check out DaMar Gunsmith's in Weedsport NY......Great guys...!! DaMarGunsmiths ...........And FYI before you think about shortening the barrel to an exact overall length of 16" remember,if anything happens to the crown you are going to be SOL because you won't be able to have it re-crowned,it will put it under the legal length......Just food for thought....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts