New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a very difficult revolver to find. Accepts three (3) cartridges: .45 colt, .45 acp, & .410 2 1/2" shotshells. Everything I've read says it's superior to the similar Taurus Judge (no surprise there). Anyone here have any personal experience handling one?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Never saw one in action, when I see some one pull out a judge or a governor I tend to leave the area immediatley to avoid serious injury and or getting muzzle swept or getting a nose bleed from incredibly stupid statements, no make that mind numbing and stupid statements.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
What you're seeing is some negative thoughts about the gun. These are mostly centered around the horrible performance of .410 as a defense cartridge, and the horrible performance of shooting .45s out of that particular revolver. The only real purpose it seems acceptable for is as an oddity or "unique" gun.

I have seen and handled one, it is really big and heavy, otherwise is just like any other S&W revolver.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pretty much what scotchman said. If you want a fun range toy I say go for it. Otherwise I would strongly suggest to stay away from it.

Oh and as a rule of thumb S&W>Taurus when it comes to quality. Taurus uses different mechanism to affix the crane, quite inferior method.

G

·
What you're seeing is some negative thoughts about the gun. These are mostly centered around the horrible performance of .410 as a defense cartridge, and the horrible performance of shooting .45s out of that particular revolver. The only real purpose it seems acceptable for is as an oddity or "unique" gun.

I have seen and handled one, it is really big and heavy, otherwise is just like any other S&W revolver.
The .410-Bore isn't just a poor defensive round, it's just plain poor all around.

A 12-Gauge, 2-3/4 inch, 1-1/4 oz. load of #6 shot contains 297-pellets.
A .410-Bore, 2-1/2 inch, ½ oz. load of #6 shot contains 111-pellets.

Typical retail price for a single round of .410-bore ammunition as described is: $0.51 each.
Typical retail price for a single round of 12-Gauge ammunition as described is: $0.38 each.

So with a .410-Bore you pay 34% more to deliver 63% fewer pellets.

To top it off with this particular firearm you are firing, an overpriced under weight, shot load down a rifled bore so that the pattern takes on a donut shape without any pellets at the point of aim.

Let's not even talk about what happens to the already anemic velocity of the .410-Bore fired from a pistol length barrel...........

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Not counting the fact that you can have a full size 9mm handgun with 20 rounds on tap with a good trigger.
That ugly contraption belongs in a bad sci-fi/steampunk budget movie.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I left out that some people use it as a "snake gun." If I had need for that very specialized circumstance, I would probably prefer a .357 magnum revolver using .38 special shotshells. But it has been adopted into that role with some success.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Snakes seldom if ever NEED to be shot.
I never understood the snake gun. Why would you not just walk away? Drawing a gun is probably going to make a snake strike more than just slowly backing away. I agree they almost never need to be shot.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Not a need I've ever had. Maybe if there's one in a place you can't walk away from? Approaching your children or something? I don't know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts