New York Firearms Forum banner

S&W .38 Sp. Airweight for target and carry??

4K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  legaleagle84 
Your instincts are good on this one.

My long time carry gun is a Colt Detective Special .38. I also have a S&W 640 .38/.357 which is now my son's carry gun. I even had a S&W .38 Model 37 Airweight at one time. While I have large and small automatics available, I prefer the small revolver for carry for a variety of reasons.

But target guns they are not. We do put a few cylinders through them once a month or so just for familiarization and muscle memory but I'm talking 15-18 rounds. With anything but very light loads I wouldn't find what I think of as "target shooting" to be a very pleasant experience. Too light weight, snotty recoil.

If you buy the Airweight for carry purposes I think you will like it. And use the Ruger for target shooting.

A guy told me once that when Smith & Wesson introduced the J-frame model, they had a walnut tree cut down to make the grips out of.

And they still have plenty of wood left.

Oops should say j not n frame in three inch above
LOL - I was going to say.......... another N frame lover. I also have a S&W 610 4" that is a lot of fun to shoot IPSC with in .40 and is a BEAST with 10mm.

I carry the Colt for its small size (inside the belt if necessary) but, truthfully, my old worn Model 19 (used to be a NYSP issue gun in its previous life) is almost as concealable with the Bianchi holster and a vest or jacket. A Miculek spring kit does wonders for the trigger pull. Shoot wadcutters all day at the range or load 158 JHP magnums for carry. Easily the best all around gun I have. I suppose that point of view plus my new Medicare card officially makes me an old fart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.