New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
I've got a boatload of 54r I just hate cleaning my PSL. And the Nagants beat you up too quick. VEPR is a good choice..
id love one but cringe to spend that kinda cash on an AK type right now

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a boatload of 54r I just hate cleaning my PSL. And the Nagants beat you up too quick. VEPR is a good choice..
id love one but cringe to spend that kinda cash on an AK type right now
i don't mind cleaning after shooting even the extra work for corrosive ammo. you are 100% right about the nagants beating your shoulder up (maybe it's that metal buttplate). nearly every good gun nowadays cost some coin, so the price isn't that big of a deal. if you think about it the cost of the gun is much less than the cost of the ammo over the life of gun, and since i got a good deal and the ammo years ago it should balance out. i had hope that somebody had one i could try out first or at least a first hand review.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Hey Jeff, why not a Tokarev SVT-40? Same type of semiauto in 7.62x54R and holds limitless collector value instead of a firearm in current production. The only downside is the availability of magazines. This one however comes with 2:

Tula 1942 SVT-40 with two magazines... : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

Just my opinion, but other than a Dragunov Tiger, this is what I would go with in this category.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've seen a few tokarevs and they do have collector value. but i'm looking for more of a shooter.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
i've seen a few tokarevs and they do have collector value. but i'm looking for more of a shooter.
If you like the caliber 7.62x54r, try a PSL.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you like the caliber 7.62x54r, try a PSL.

i've tried the PSL, i wasn't impressed. it seemed reliable but the barrel was pretty thin and accuracy suffered. after about the 15th shot the groups started to open up bad. it didn't get much better with brass case ammo either. also the stock was set up for someone with MUCH shorter arms than me. i really liked the AK action and the scope mount looked really solid.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I never had a problem with the accuracy once the scope was dialed in, what a pain in the a$$ that was. I have a different stock on mine. the orginal is way too short. Made for those little guys over there, lol

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a 7.62x39 Vepr and fit, finish, and accuracy is above any AK variant I've ever shot or handled. That includes a Mak 90 and the Saiga series of rifles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts