New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time ever in my IPSC shoots (about 2 years) that I am running a different pistol other than a Glock (G23--4 months, G17--2 months & G19 for last year & a half). I bought a M&P9 Talo Edition, installed the Heinie sights (best sights in my opinion) & the APEX RAM. Can't wait to shoot it tonight! I am also going to be using it this Sunday at the Rochester Brooks match (first of the year) unless for some reason I really hate shooting it (I doubt that).

I have shot the M&P9 before, but never in an IPSC/USPSA style shooting. I will say I like the mag release better on the M&P9 from dry firing and practicing mag reloads. I like that the mags just fly outta this thing.

I'll have a semi-range report after tonight. This could be replacing the G19 if I really kick butt with it......

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
:like:

I am excited to see how you shoot it.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
First time ever in my IPSC shoots (about 2 years) that I am running a different pistol other than a Glock (G23--4 months, G17--2 months & G19 for last year & a half). I bought a M&P9 Talo Edition, installed the Heinie sights (best sights in my opinion) & the APEX RAM. Can't wait to shoot it tonight! I am also going to be using it this Sunday at the Rochester Brooks match (first of the year) unless for some reason I really hate shooting it (I doubt that).

I have shot the M&P9 before, but never in an IPSC/USPSA style shooting. I will say I like the mag release better on the M&P9 from dry firing and practicing mag reloads. I like that the mags just fly outta this thing.

I'll have a semi-range report after tonight. This could be replacing the G19 if I really kick butt with it......
I'm using mine bone stock on 04/21 for IDPA. I'm also a fan of the mag release (can be sent up for a lefty). I like how you don't have to work the slide with a reload. Keep us posted!

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, ran the M&P at IPSC last night. Some observations:

Pros
Love the grip angle
Love the ergonomics
LOVE the mag release--perfect for my hand

Cons
HATE reloading mags--you have to slam them in HARD--but, the mags are new and I guess you can trim down the followers (thanks Bpipe)
Too smooth & slippery--it will be getting some work done by Cold Bore

Overall, I am very happy. I didn't shoot that well, but that's my fault, not the gun. I did shoot it much better in the second round. The recoil was much better than the G19, my follow up shots were much tighter. On the G19, I would hit "A" zone and then have a "C" (or miss if I was rushing). Again, I am jerking the trigger, so it is more me than the G19 or M&P, but the M&P was much more forgiving. Still have to get used to the slightly longer barrel, but that will come with more exposure to the pistol. Also, I have the RAM kit installed, but I had a couple of instances where I didn't let the trigger out enough to reset--I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I attribute that to shooting Glocks the last 2 years, I just have that Glock reset burned into my memory. With more range time, I will learn the M&P.

I would recommend the M&P to any Glock owners. For me, I think it is going to be a good match. I am definitely going to use it exclusively for IPSC to really give the gun a chance. I still have a soft place in my heart for Glock, but the M&P (again, this is to me) does feel a step above the Glock.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Cons
HATE reloading mags--you have to slam them in HARD--but, the mags are new and I guess you can trim down the followers (thanks Bpipe)
The extreme magazine tension will loosen up a bit as time goes on.

I picked up an M&P9 in the middle of December.
When I first got it, it was extremely difficult for me to reload the mags; getting that 10th round in was pretty much impossible, and I'd often only load them to 9 to save time at the range.

In the 4 months it's been since I got the gun, the magazines have become considerably easier to load. I only shoot a few times a month...so that being the case, it really didn't take a ton of extensive "breaking in" to get the mags to loosen up a bit.
I can reload them now without any kind of struggle whatsoever, and the 10th round always goes in easy.

I did some reading online when I got the gun, and I guess many owners of brand new M&P's were having the same issue with the magazines.
Some people suggested taking them apart and trimming the followers, and other people suggested just giving it time. Honestly, I wouldn't trust myself to take out/trim any parts, so I opted for just waiting and breaking them in naturally, and this approach worked fine for me.

So don't worry!
Soon enough you'll be able to cross that one off the "CONS" list.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I've been keeping an eye on this thread and u switching over to m&p's from a glock, the only question I have is how are you feeling about the decrease in capacity you have now thanks to the AWB and not having prebans around?

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Frank,

I should have been more clear in my post. I was referring to actually reloading the mag into the pistol. But, you are correct, these mags are stiff when brand new.

The extreme magazine tension will loosen up a bit as time goes on.

I picked up an M&P9 in the middle of December.
When I first got it, it was extremely difficult for me to reload the mags; getting that 10th round in was pretty much impossible, and I'd often only load them to 9 to save time at the range.

In the 4 months it's been since I got the gun, the magazines have become considerably easier to load. I only shoot a few times a month...so that being the case, it really didn't take a ton of extensive "breaking in" to get the mags to loosen up a bit.
I can reload them now without any kind of struggle whatsoever, and the 10th round always goes in easy.

I did some reading online when I got the gun, and I guess many owners of brand new M&P's were having the same issue with the magazines.
Some people suggested taking them apart and trimming the followers, and other people suggested just giving it time. Honestly, I wouldn't trust myself to take out/trim any parts, so I opted for just waiting and breaking them in naturally, and this approach worked fine for me.

So don't worry!
Soon enough you'll be able to cross that one off the "CONS" list.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bocker, I haven't carried the M&P yet. Still carrying the G19 for now. Not sure if I am getting the new Shield or the 9c. I want to feel both of them, then I will make a decision on which to buy. Once I do that, then I will sell the G19. I do like having preban mags, but I honestly like the M&P ergonomics better for me. I can live with the 10rd mags if I can work the gun better.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread and u switching over to m&p's from a glock, the only question I have is how are you feeling about the decrease in capacity you have now thanks to the AWB and not having prebans around?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts