New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the law regarding ammo storage and how much you may keep in a residential home in New York City? There are many rumors its 200 rds topps and others say in a private house there is no cap to how many you can keep. certain zoning may apply to the number.Also heard its a fire code and has nothing to do with regular law enforcemnt.I would like to put an end to the rumors once and for all.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Does anybody know the law regarding ammo storage and how much you may keep in a residential home in New York City? There are many rumors its 200 rds topps and others say in a private house there is no cap to how many you can keep. certain zoning may apply to the number.Also heard its a fire code and has nothing to do with regular law enforcemnt.I would like to put an end to the rumors once and for all.
it it is a little hard to get a straight answer on this one. The NYC admin codes has a law where if you are a firearms dealer you need a storage permit from the FDNY for more than 200 rounds. That law does not apply to others than firearm dealers. But in the NYC fire code. More than 200 rounds in an R-3 occupancy is a violation. R-3 are private houses. So if you love in a high rise apartment or project building it is legal by that code to have more. The lic section might have its own restrictions.
The fire code has the same penalty as having a used space heater in your attic. They can sell u one at Home Depot but you can't keep one that has ever been used in your home. Meaning if you have one Brand new and never used its okay. But if you ever used it say outside,. turn it off and store it in you home. you are in violation. Go figure. I think it is one that would not survive a court challange or you can keep the ammo at a self storage if they don't have a regulation in the contract against it

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that makes no sense, so an apt bulidg dwelling has no limit on ammo storage number of rounds but a pvt house does? Wow, this just adds to more BS that the people who write the law dont know what the law is.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
deep, high, and dry!

I know this is no help to your serious question, but just reading this thread title irked me..... ammo possession restrictions... that crap will spread to the rest of the state soon enough if we dont stand strong!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Here is a thread I started a while ago with ALL the research you need... http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/la...tion-stored-home-conflicting-information.html

Long story short...only organizations and businesses have a 200 round limit without a special permit.

Private residences don't have a limit...if it's for personal use. If it is for sale, or for a business, you need a permit and there are special storage requirements.

Yes, the R3 occupanices seem to have the limit too (single family brownstone homes for example)...but I don't think that would ever be prosecuted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts