New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an SR22 back in March, since Ive had it, it only seems to like plated, hollow point ammo, no matter what brand. If I used plain old lead nosed ammo, same velocity as the plated, I would have feed problems, wouldn't cycle, etc. Tech at Ruger told me they recommend only plated ammo in this gun since the other kind is "hard on the internals"...ok, doesn't say anything about that in the manual,
BUT,
I spoke to a guy at the range last week, he had the same gun, same problem, replaced the plastic recoil guide and spring with this:
Brass Stacker Guide Rod Assembly for Ruger SR22
and said hes hasn't had a problem with lead nosed ammo since.
I bought one, went to the range, fired about 300 rounds of different brands of lead nosed ammo, NO PROBLEMS!!!

WHOO HOO!

So theres my two cents, he said it has something to do with the plastic "bending" during recoil. Who knows, all I know is I have no problems now. Hope it lasts!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I cant say I know anything about it personally, but hey.. if it works it works. Good stuff to know, thanks for sharing.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
I bought an SR22 back in March, since Ive had it, it only seems to like plated, hollow point ammo, no matter what brand. If I used plain old lead nosed ammo, same velocity as the plated, I would have feed problems, wouldn't cycle, etc. Tech at Ruger told me they recommend only plated ammo in this gun since the other kind is "hard on the internals"...ok, doesn't say anything about that in the manual,
BUT,
I spoke to a guy at the range last week, he had the same gun, same problem, replaced the plastic recoil guide and spring with this:
Brass Stacker Guide Rod Assembly for Ruger SR22
and said hes hasn't had a problem with lead nosed ammo since.
I bought one, went to the range, fired about 300 rounds of different brands of lead nosed ammo, NO PROBLEMS!!!

WHOO HOO!

So theres my two cents, he said it has something to do with the plastic "bending" during recoil. Who knows, all I know is I have no problems now. Hope it lasts!
I have the same gun too and it did not like the lead round nose. I just figured the feed ramp was not smooth enough for them. I will try the Brass Stacker and see how well it works. Thanks for this info! I just ordered one.

James

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same gun too and it did not like the lead round nose. I just figured the feed ramp was not smooth enough for them. I will try the Brass Stacker and see how well it works. Thanks for this info! I just ordered one.

James
I hope it works for you, now I feel pressure.....!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just picked up my SR22 last week and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but have heard of the feed problems. This fix is good to know.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Anyone care to chime in how a recoil spring and guide rod can fix a feed issue related to lead vs plated bullets? I am glad it worked for you, just doesn't seem to be the "right" fix.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone care to chime in how a recoil spring and guide rod can fix a feed issue related to lead vs plated bullets? I am glad it worked for you, just doesn't seem to be the "right" fix.
Not sure either, but from what the guy told me (and tool around the net, seems to be some info on it as well, not just for this firearm, but others), polymer/plastic recoil rods "bend" during the action of the slide, causing it to not get the full force of the recoil to feed the bullet. Or something like that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've had a SR22 for a while, fed five different ammo types no problems at all. Maybe just lucky, the copper plated bullets just rubs off. I do not think they are any better than plain lead.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
As sort of an amateur smith, that troubled me as well but I've considered some theories and the ones already mentioned are not completely implausible.

So, first consider the facts that lead ammo will be significantly more deformable than plated ammo and potentially more abrasive. Those things being the case, a few different possibilities present themselves. Maybe just one and maybe a combination of things.

Maybe it's just in reality a stronger than factory weight spring. In this case it may simply be drawing the round into battery with more force and thereby overcoming the additional friction and even possibly deformation of the non-plated lead against the feed ramp. Maybe the plastic guide rod does to some degree flex in recoil and cause the slide to frame fit to shift slightly in such a way that the solid guide rod would not. Potentially such a shift may alter the precise angle of the round and again get the lead caught up for the aforementioned reasons.

Or, and this is either a little crazier or more genius.. I'm not sure, perhaps the possible flex (or really the 'un-flexing') of the plastic guide rod in conjunction with the spring weight actually creates a greater impact of the round against the feed ramp and causes greater deformation. (AND maybe even in add in the slight angle variation for a total picture). Think about that one for a minute.. heh.

I completely get what you're saying, that it doesn't seem immediately logical, but I do think it's possible for these (and some even slightly less likely) theories to be true.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have had the SR22 for about 4 months, have put about 500 rounds of all types of 22LR through it without any problems. Used some 40 year old Remington rounds also. Great gun, fun to shoot.
If I had any problems with a Ruger firearm, I would send it back to them for repairs. Their customer service is great and turnaround time is quick.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Nice to know. I replaced my plastic rods in the LCP and LC9 and have no trouble with any ammo. It is great that someone wants to improve a firearm by making an item like this. Too bad the manufactures don't do it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had the SR22 for about 4 months, have put about 500 rounds of all types of 22LR through it without any problems. Used some 40 year old Remington rounds also. Great gun, fun to shoot.
If I had any problems with a Ruger firearm, I would send it back to them for repairs. Their customer service is great and turnaround time is quick.
You know when I did call them and spoke to two techs, they both said they'd probably find nothing wrong with it based on what I told them, but I could send it in anyway. So I figured I'd just stick with what works..

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do. I'm guessing there is a specific way the spring is suppose to installed. Haven't even broken it down yet.
There absolutely is a way for the factory spring and rod, you need to turn the spring clockwise until it "catches" on the base of the rod, its outlined better in the usermanual, but that's essentially what it says...

·
Registered
712 Posts

James
I too have this issue and I polished my feed ramp. that did not help any FYI....but this...hmmmmmm

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
No issues with mine. But I've only ever fed it AR Tactical rounds (FMJ).

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Would you guys recommend the SR22? I've got a line of one with 30 rounds shot through it... for $250 shipped to my FFL. Put's it at 287$ once I pay the transfer fee.....

Trying to get it cheaper, but the seller only wants to do paypal. I've never bought a gun from a private seller online..... don't want to get scammed.........

And I've heard you can't use PP for firearms... so.... weird.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts