New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got my permit w/o restrictions and have been looking at a Ruger P345 as an everyday carry gun. I have several questions regarding the Ruger and hopefully you might be able to answer them for me. I am a bigger guy, 5'11'' @ 290 and I like to hit my target with larger chunks of lead!

Overall how is the Ruger P345, Performance, reliability and concealed carry capability?

Which style concealed carry is more suitable for that handgun, IWB, OWB etc.?

What holsters fit that gun? As I didn't find many selections.

Anything else you might add to help me make a decision would be appreciated.

Thank You!

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I looked into getting one a year or 2 ago, they are too big and heavy for regular carry, but they are typical built like a tank Ruger.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Actually, I can weigh in on this one I suppose particularly since I'm carrying one right now. Normally I carry a full size, but lightweight framed, 1911. I had some issues with my carry gun though that Springfield still needs to get worked out, so I've been carrying the P345 regularly for some time now. Obviously everyone is different, and carry methods differ. Personally I don't find it too large or heavy for carry at all, and I'd describe it as being fairly similar to carrying a commander sized 1911. Not quite as comfortable and slim, but similar enough at generally less than half the price of a good one. I always carry OWB under an untucked button down shirt, as long as my situation allows that method anyway.

I've had mine over 6 years now, and it has performed flawlessly. Actually, it is an oddball in my collection for just this reason. The P345 is the only polymer framed gun I own. I have fired a great many, but personally owned no others. I'm just not partial to plastic. I'm old school I suppose, and I like a good steel frame. Over these past 6 years I've just been waiting for something to go wrong with the P345 to phase it out and have a reason to sell it, but nothing ever has. I find it also to be just as accurate, and if I'm being completely honest I have to say possibly more accurate, than my customed out carry 1911.

I have what can only probably be called a crapload of holsters, varying in quality and price from low to top end. Probably my favorite for the P345 though for OWB carry is the fairly simple and reasonably priced Don Hume model H721 OT.
Here's a link
H721 O.T. [H721 O.T.] - $55.00 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts