New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I want to purchase a mini 14 i live in Ulster County, i'm confused by fellow gun owners i've spoken to on what's legal and what is not. All i want to do is buy a mini 14 with a 5 or 10 round mag with the flash hider that's it, my thought is that i'm only looking at one EVIL it's my understanding two EVILS make it illegal,so this makes me ok? Am i correct on this? . if not please educate me. otherwise i guess i will just have to but the regular ranch version thank you in advance for the help.

Rob

· Registered
1,559 Posts
no pistol grip and you should be fine. I have a preban folder which is the only model I know that really takes advantage of its preban status unless you put in a aftermarket kit.

· Registered
229 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, you're okay with the flash hider. With the removable magazine and the flash hider, you have one evil feature, and the rifle is still legal. If you put the rifle into a different stock, say with a pistol grip or a folding stock, then you have created an "assault weapon" according to NYS. But a stock mini-14 with a flash hider? I think you're okay.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Yep. Also on a mini with only a flash hider you'd still be perfectly legal to use larger capacity magazines as long as they were pre-ban magazines. Remember, magazines and rifles are two different parts of the law. Capacity has nothing to do with counted 'evil features' .

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a mini 14 wood stock 196 series.. was thinking of adding composite stock with pistol grip, if i put on a non-collapsible/folding stock, will it still be legal?? I know the '2 evil' bit, but I also read in the law that if the rifle is manually operated by a bolt, slide, or pump action.. it is not considered an 'assault weapon'

· Registered
3,225 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.