New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,603 Posts
I don't own 1, a buddy of mine from work owns 1 and was just telling me about it. He loves the gun and was saying the only dislike was how long it took to get because it was back ordered. Very accurate and good fitting gun he said.

· Registered
2 Posts
I've had mine since spring. Found it at a gun show for $750. I only shot about 100 rounds through it so far no malfunctions. Originally mounted a 3-9 scope and removed the rear sight but quickly went to the Burris scout scope. The advantage ive found to the ruger with a scout scope is a wide range of view allowing better acquisition at closer ranges. Ive never shot with an extended eye relief scope before but i really like this set up. The max range i would shoot is 200 yards or less, 50-100 yards is more practical. I'm 5'6" so the size of the rifle is ideal for carrying through the woods. The $40 polymer 5 round magazines are more practical for carrying in the woods than the 10 rounder it came with. I've tried many bullet sizes, only the 180 grain would group at 100 yards. We will see how it does this hunting season but so far it's light, accurate, reliable, and easy to maneuver.

Attachments

· Registered
9 Posts
I went back and forth for weeks on a used rifle for SHTF/Target/Hunting/Competition... between the Ruger Gunsite Scout and a ???(wildcard).

Loved the feel, handling, DBM and look of the RGS but not what current owners were trying to sell them for... more than retail in most cases. I can go to at least 4 shops right now within 45 min of my house and buy one! (Would put on credit card at that point too!) :)

Then a couple friends of mine reminded me about a Remington 700 based rifle and how it it the Chevy 350 of the gun world... many options do build my way!

In the end(i wouldn't call this the end, more like a chapter) I have a more accurate rifle for $150 more than I would have spent on the RGS and it is done the right way(safe and quality build), my way(the options I needed).

So I am not turning you off to the Ruger(I am a HUGE FAN and will most likely still buy one), I am just saying that there are other options. :)

· Registered
9 Posts
Ohh, "my way":
Remington SPS Tactical .308
-Leupold Vari-x III 6.5-20x40
-Weaver 20moa rail
-Remington 700P stock
-M5 DBM w/10rnd mags (uses Ruger Gunsite Scout magazines)
-Harris S BRM 6-9" bipod
-Andy's Rhodesian sling

· Registered
591 Posts
I love my RGS, highly recommended

mine had a slight break in period after about 150 rounds my groups tightened to where they should be.

also a slightly heavy but clean and crisp trigger pull, i believe its right around 4.5 to 5lbs

· Registered
1,176 Posts
i got mine shortly after it first came out and mounted the burris scout scope (dedicated 2.75 power) on it like jamesah. it comes with rings to mount a scope above the receiver in the traditional manner, but that requires removal of the rear site and also defeats the whole purpose of col. jeff cooper's scout rifle concept (which is entirely different from a tried and true platform like the remington 700 or winchester model 70). i won't reiterate the valid points jamesah made as to the practicality and application of this rifle, but i will say that i purchased a DSA buttstock magazine holder designed for .308 variants that fit the rifle like it was made for it and am very pleased with having an extra ten rounds onboard. it enhances the "grab-n-go" factor of a utility rifle designed as a tool to accomplish multiple goals adequately as opposed to one intended to master one specific task, a la long-range target shooting. go for it.

· Banned
1,269 Posts
Love mine,they look awesome plus there made by RUGER!!!!! If you collect guns I would advise you to have at least one of these in your collection.I seen a couple on Armslist lately for around $700,wouldnt pass that up if your looking for one!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.