New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting one of these two guns. Do you guys have any recommendations or suggestions on which is the better choice. I am interested in getting a 357 Mag that can shoot 38 Special. Does anyone own either one of these two guns and what are your thoughts. Thanks !

·
Registered
395 Posts
A friend has a GP100 with a 6 inch barrel. He loves it. I have spoken with a couple guys with SP', they are quite happy with theirs, too. Rugers are built like tanks.Your great grandchildren will be using them(if they don't live in NYS). Do you plan on carrying concealed, or use the pistol for hunting and target shooting? The SP will carry a lot easier, but the GP would be a better choice for target shooting and hunting.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A friend has a GP100 with a 6 inch barrel. He loves it. I have spoken with a couple guys with SP', they are quite happy with theirs, too. Rugers are built like tanks.Your great grandchildren will be using them(if they don't live in NYS). Do you plan on carrying concealed, or use the pistol for hunting and target shooting? The SP will carry a lot easier, but the GP would be a better choice for target shooting and hunting.
My intended use would be for target and hunting. The GP100 I would agree with you is way to large as a CCW. Thanks for the comments back.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have the GP100 3" barrel and with a pancake holster it's easily concealable with a shirt over the waist, a jacket even better. It's my gun of choice for self defense

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
GP100 is my favorite choice. Fits my hand just right, the hogue grips absorb well, the balance of the gun with 3" barrel is perfect for me.
It can be satisfactorily concealed with the right clothing. I choose it over a semi-auto any day. 6 is all I need.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have the GP100 stainless steel with the six inch barrel, it has the wood inlay grips, I love it. Real nice quality built and a pleasure to shoot. I take it if I'm going to be going up in the mountains. It shoots straight and feels right in the hand, I wouldn't sell it or trade if off for any reason. I like the six inch barrel better then the shorter three inch barrel. I occasionally see the six inchers at the local gun shows, the three inchers are always available. If I have any extra money and see another one I'd buy it, there are other toys I want to buy as well.
I have a Rossi model 971 357mag stainless steel that has the muzzle brake, It is a S&W patent. I carry this one when I want to carry a revolver, I see one at the gunshow up in Lynden last weekend. If he still has it next month I'm going to buy it. He wanted $450 for it, 'I'll get it for $400.

Up the street is Norpoint Shooting Range, they have about thirty range-guns you can rent & shoot before you buy one. What a deal for newcomers that never shot before, they get to feel first hand what it feels like to shoot all of the different calibers. It cost $25, you can shoot as many guns you want it their indoor range for that $25. You have to shoot range ammo in the range guns.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
There are several GP100s on Gun Broker & GunAuction.com , they range from $275 to $800. I've bought a few guns on the auction sites. Sometimes you can get a good gun at a decent price,but you have to facttor in the shipping, (sometimes it's free) and the cost of your FFL guy, It cost me $40 for my FFL guy and the greedy State of Washington adds on a "USE TAX" that's equivilent to the county sales-tax. It is alittle over 9% for the USE TAX, they even have a table set up at the gunshows to collect the tax on "Private Sales" before you leave the premises. The Government has their greedy little fingers upevery-ones ass these days.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have a GP100 stainless with a 6" barrel. I love it. Great gun. Well balanced. I also would suggest looking at a S&W 686 pllus. .357 mag/.38 that holds 7 rounds. 3" barrel. I have one and love it. Makes a great carry revolver.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a GP100 - 4" barrel, stainless. This was my first gun and I love it. Great gun for target practice. I always bring it to the range when I have company that doesn't shoot much. Easy to shoot and great confidence builder because of its acccuracy, plus put it .38 rounds helps.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The SP101's niche seems to be as a carry revolver that is very shootable; it has nowhere near the recoil of a J-frame or LCR. You could also conceivably shoot .357Mag out of it, but I wouldn't because I don't believe it is worth it over .38 +P.

Otherwise, I consider the GP100 to be a better all-around gun. I think a GP100 and an LCR is probably better than an SP101, but if you want one gun for both the SP101 is not a bad compromise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.