New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I got my amendment back from Westchester yesterday (3 weeks - not so bad) and picked up my new GP100 5" .

i just got back from Blue Mountain and I have to say I really like this revolver! Heavy enough to take some of the kick out of the magnum loads, and shoots regular .38's and +p's like they were .22's

i have to do something with the front sight as black just doesn't work for me.

the only glitch so far is that this gun just won't load Fiocchi ammo for some reason. No problem at all with Federal, PMC, Magtech or Reminigtons. (I've been buying boxes of whatever I could find while waiting to pick up the gun).

the guy next to me didn't have any trouble shooting the stuff thru his .357 so the ammo is good. He bought the box I had from me and shot it all. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

also if interested PM me, I've got 4 more 50 round boxes i'll sell at $30per. (My cost). Face to face is easiest in westchester or Putnam.

thanks,
'nailer

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, once I load the cylinder with the Fiocchi's it won't close easily and won't cycle. Almost as if they had a thicker base and were causing friction. It will take any other ammo I stuck in it and cycle just as smooth as I could hope for, fire and eject everything cleanly.

really weird, but it just didn't operate with that brand.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I got my amendment back from Westchester yesterday (3 weeks - not so bad) and picked up my new GP100 5" .

i just got back from Blue Mountain and I have to say I really like this revolver! Heavy enough to take some of the kick out of the magnum loads, and shoots regular .38's and +p's like they were .22's

i have to do something with the front sight as black just doesn't work for me.

the only glitch so far is that this gun just won't load Fiocchi ammo for some reason. No problem at all with Federal, PMC, Magtech or Reminigtons. (I've been buying boxes of whatever I could find while waiting to pick up the gun).

the guy next to me didn't have any trouble shooting the stuff thru his .357 so the ammo is good. He bought the box I had from me and shot it all. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

also if interested PM me, I've got 4 more 50 round boxes i'll sell at $30per. (My cost). Face to face is easiest in westchester or Putnam.

thanks,
'nailer
Congrats ! This is my next gun when funds become available. I am looking for the 4" barrel.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're going to love it and the 4" should be easier to find. I started out looking for a 6 but it felt a little too front heavy to me. I shot a 5 at the range and asked my dealer to try and get one. It just felt right. It's a Davidson exclusive and it took a little bit of time to get here but I think it was worth it!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have the GP100 stainless with a six inch barrel, I enjoy shooting it, The recoil is very manageable and it is a pleasant gun to shot. When I go up to the Cascade Mountains I always carry the GP100. I had all of the Ruger Blackhawks and I gave the 357/9mm to one of my sons and I gave the 44mag to my other son and sold the rest of them. In probably should of kept the 41 mag. There was a GP100 stailess with the six inch barrel at the gun show today for $480. My next revolver is going to be a S&W 44mag or the 454 Casual stainless. They have a used S&W 629 - six inch stainless at the shooting range for $780 that I've been thinking about buying.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I also have a GP100, 4" barrel and love it. It was my first handgun and would never get rid of it. I've never had any issue with any ammo, I'd just make sure the back of the ejector is cleaned really good (where it sits into the cylinder).
You might want to try this - http://glow-on.com/products.html on your sight. I never used it, as a matter a fact I just order a small vial the other day to check it out.
Good luck with your GP100

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Thanks for the reply, once I load the cylinder with the Fiocchi's it won't close easily and won't cycle. Almost as if they had a thicker base and were causing friction. It will take any other ammo I stuck in it and cycle just as smooth as I could hope for, fire and eject everything cleanly.
really weird, but it just didn't operate with that brand.
That is certainly strange, but not a huge cause for concern I suppose..kinda. I have seen brass that was malformed and didn't fit in revolver chambers, but that was from really low end surplus ammo companies like 'American Ammo'. Considering you mentioned it worked just fine in another gun though, I'd just recommend to keep an eye on it as it COULD be a sign of a slightly warped or bent crane. Most likely it's just the ammo though, since you aren't having the problem with other ammo.

You haven't been 'flicking' your cylinder shut like they do in the movies, right ? :)

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
It probably was a bad run of ammo, The rim might of been a touch to thick. I've had problems with a box of 22 shells one time ejecting, I think they expanded to much after they were fired and didn't want to eject. Thev next time I bought 22 shells was from another store so it was a different lot of shells and didn't have a problem with the new ones.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha! No movie stuff here! I think I'm just going to go with it doesn't like that ammo. I'm going to put a sign up at the range and sell the rest of it. I had shot quite a bit by the time I tried it and was thinking some crap had gotten under the extractor, but I couldn't see or feel anything. And I shot another couple of hundred rounds of everthing else without any trouble.

If it turns into something more I'm sure Ruger will make it right, or Davidson's Lifetime Gaurantee will.

thanks for the link on that paint Hawk, I was thinking nail polish but I might give that a try instead. Looks a little more permanent! : )

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Quick update, - I sent Lucky Gunner a note yesterday, and this morning I received an email saying send it back for a refund. They don't usually accept ammo returns so maybe they've heard this before?

I'm not worried about it being the gun, it seems to work fine with anything else I've tried.

Funny thing though, I went over to Rockland Sun afternoon for a friends St. Patrick's party and thought I'd stop by Davis' Sport shop to see if I could pick some ammo on the way over. There in the case was a Kimber Custom II Target 45 ACP.

Really? My very own white whale? How the heck could I leave it there? I've been looking for that pistol for over a year now. Oh well what the hell, you only live once. back to the Clerks office with another amendment I go!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fiocchi .357 142 grain FMJ truncated cone is one of my favorite levergun loads, as well as Magtech 158 grain Semi-Jacked Soft Point. Unless you are returning 1000 rounds, maybe you would consider selling it ala cart.
I shot a couple of boxes of those Magtech 158 GR SJSP at the range and really liked them! Nice groups and seemed to burn really clean. Great stuff. I picked up a couple of boxes of CCI Blazer 158 gr. SJHP to try this week. They get pretty good reviews online. (And if it's online it has to be true right?) I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great choice on the GP 100 and the custom II.

A gp100 was going to be the first handgun I purchased but when I went to buy it someone else was starting the paperwork. I ended up with its little brother instead; 2.5" SP101 DAO. I never got around to buying a GP100, I opted for a 686 instead.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have the GP100 stainless with a six inch barrel, I enjoy shooting it, The recoil is very manageable and it is a pleasant gun to shot. When I go up to the Cascade Mountains I always carry the GP100. I had all of the Ruger Blackhawks and I gave the 357/9mm to one of my sons and I gave the 44mag to my other son and sold the rest of them. In probably should of kept the 41 mag. There was a GP100 stailess with the six inch barrel at the gun show today for $480. My next revolver is going to be a S&W 44mag or the 454 Casual stainless. They have a used S&W 629 - six inch stainless at the shooting range for $780 that I've been thinking about buying.
You should try the S&W .460 mag. I have one and you can shoot the .460 mag, .454 Casull or .45 LC. Very nice shooter. I also have a GP100 6" barrel in stainless. Great gun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.