New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question to someone who may know the answer..... I'm curious as to why Rochester Rifle Club has a 5-round per mag limit at the range?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Probably the same reason they have a restriction on how fast you can shoot. Because they can....

And if you look at the ceiling in that place I completely understand. I don't know who it shooting there but is seems like Helen Keller must go in at least once a month.

·
Registered
225 Posts
...And if you look at the ceiling in that place I completely understand. I don't know who it shooting there but is seems like Helen Keller must go in at least once a month.
Ha!

I agree--I have heard that it is because they don't want lots of rapid fire for whatever reason. 5 round limit makes you slow down....because they can.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Isn't it open 24/7?

Who's going to notice if you're there at 3am?

Will they revoke your membership if you have one in the chamber and 5 in the mag? I can understand the rapid-fire restriction but the mag limit is completely absurd. Considering you have to be referred to the club, They should have enough faith in their members to police themselves.

·
Registered
470 Posts
THere is a Surveillance system there, not sure if any one ever looks at the tape. I usually use RRC because its convenient and very available. Great to test fire new purchases or a gun you've done something to. I wish you could shoot closer than 50 ft myself. Hard to shoot an lcp at 50ft.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Their rules are the reason I'm not a member there. I'm a safe and respectful shooter. If they want to make dumb rules I'll keep my money.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
The club i'm a member at has the 50' rule also....many ignore it, as long as no one is there. Hell, I don't even want to shoot my Glock 19 at 50'....that's not self defense ranges IMHO.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
The 50' only rule is probably to make sure the bullets impact the backstop. A safety rule makes sense to me.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
The 50' only rule is probably to make sure the bullets impact the backstop. A safety rule makes sense to me.
correct. But if you are the only shooter, or shooting together at the same range, why you can't go ahead of the bench/firing line is beyond my comprehension.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I was thinking the same thing..and the walls on station 1 and 12. People should really figure out their gun before firing all over the place.

·
Registered
180 Posts
They want yu to become proficent at mag changes? ;)

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
RRC does monitor their video. I know a shooter buddy of mine that got a letter from them because he fired a 10 round mag, accurately BTW, faster than they wanted......threatened to pull hi membership

One thing I have found is that if you do not understand why you cannot go downrange, then you really need to find out why. One, they are trying to make sure you do not damage anything, so you have to shoot from a certain position to ensure that.

Other safety rules (the reasonable ones) are there so that the shooter that wants to do their own thing does not hurt anyone or break anything they shouldn't. I agree that some places can go overboard but in most cases, the rules are there to protect the club as well as the shooter.

Remember, one reckless shooter that decides the rules don't apply to them will ruin it for the rest of us. Too many shooters are too self centered. I hear comments like: "I pay my dues so I should be able to do what I want" or "I know what I am doing, I saw a video/read a book/had a buddy show me". These shooters have no idea that ANY mistake can ruin the club for everyone...

You believe it's your right but you should act as if it is a privilege to have a gun.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
. I'm a safe and respectful shooter.
Being a regular at a public range and my experience tells me that you are an exception not the rule :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes some of the rules such as the 5 round limit may not seem
reasonable but it is inexpensive, convenient, and 24/7 works
well for me so I will live with it.

And being inexpensive I could always join another range
without breaking the bank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts