New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a ride along with Onpartol yesterday. It was a great experience. I got to meet Thinblueline also. Here are a few observations:

The bad:
1. The Rochester PD cars suck! The AC was not working well and it was round 95 out yesterday!

2. Tow tag sounds very similar to toe tag. We went to a traffic accident (about 30 seconds into the ride along) and I thought someone was asking for a toe tag (even though I know they are not applied at the scene)!

3.Rochester has some areas that are just plain gross! Not trying to offend anyone from there, just an observation.

Though I don't tend to criticize police that often I wanted to go on a ride along anyway. I had to pick up a rifle from Gunner57 and I thought it would be a good opportunity to see the sights of Rochester! The police there deal with more calls than I thought. It was busy busy none stop from the second I arrived until I left. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to give details on the cases so I won't. I can tell you from first hand experience that OnPatrol and all the other officers I observed were nothing but professional and respectful even during some tense situations. The general public was treated very politely. It was a good experience. Some of the people on this forum that do nothing but criticize the police (I do at times) should go on a ride along in an urban environment. Things happen quickly and it can be quite stressful. It's best to walk a mile in someone's shoes before passing judgment.

On the way home I had another LEO experience (the state police this time). I was passing a slow car (45 in a 55). The car in front of me also passed. When we were back in our lane I saw the lights flashing (after about 30 seconds). I was clocked at 85 in a 55. I might have been going that fast for 5 seconds. Both cars were pulled over. As required by Broome county I informed the trooper I had a concealed firearm on my left hip. I handed him my permit with my license and kept both hands on the wheel. I also told him about the rifle I just bought in the back seat. He said no problem and went to his car. He came back, gave me my permit and license and said he noticed I have never had a ticket. He said have a nice day and sent me on my way without the speeding ticket.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please, being a cop is easy. If somebody isn't wearing a shirt, they're guilty. They're even more guilty if they're not wearing a shirt or pants.

/everything I know about cops I learned from watching Cops on TV
All guilty parties had shirts on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
About 17 years ago I did 3 ride-alongs with RPD. I was really impressed with the professionalism of all of the officers I encountered.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
I did a ride along tonight..............with myself. I got to see a pedestrian get hit by an 18 wheeler that was going +65mph on the dark interstate. I commend you on seeing how the other half lives, meaning both us at work and the people we deal with. I'm sure the experience will give you insight to some of our replies that may seem abrasive at times. I'm not asking for a pat on the back, I just ask that you consider the perspective of someone that has to put up with the 8hrs you experienced for 20yrs or more and understand why we can be jaded at times.

You should contact your local dept and see if you can do a ride along with them, it will give you a new perspective of your neighbors. I guarantee it.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
I did a ride along tonight..............with myself. I got to see a pedestrian get hit by an 18 wheeler that was going +65mph on the dark interstate. I commend you on seeing how the other half lives, meaning both us at work and the people we deal with. I'm sure the experience will give you insight to some of our replies that may seem abrasive at times. I'm not asking for a pat on the back, I just ask that you consider the perspective of someone that has to put up with the 8hrs you experienced for 20yrs or more and understand why we can be jaded at times.

You should contact your local dept and see if you can do a ride along with them, it will give you a new perspective of your neighbors. I guarantee it.
The kid on the bike right? Tragic accident. Hopefully you didn't get the "family notification" detail.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
No weapons period.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am somewhat of a "regular" at doing ride alongs with the RPD. I am lucky enough that my best man from my wedding is an officer. Also, my neighbor is a high ranking officer. I have never had a bad time. I get a new found respect for the men in uniform everytime I go. I agree that some of the cars in Rochester leave a little to be desired, but the men and women behind the wheel are top notch. Anyone can go oon a ride along and it will open your eyes to alot. Give your local department a call and set one up. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I wanted to try this for my area, but Colonie does not seem to offer it. They instead have a "Civilian Police Academy" which is 1 class once a week for 6 weeks, with an optional ride along at the end. And it is only held once a year, starting in March. Some vague info about it but not a lot of details on what that really is.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I just lost a bet.......to my self. I was very glad to not witness any fatalities. Honestly it was about what I expected just much busier. My friend works for the local dept. here. He stopped by my house and talked for a bit yesterday. He was here maybe 20 minutes and not one call came in. The calls were non stop on the ride along. We barley had time to stop by dunkin donuts (some leo stereo types are true). There were a couple of calls that surprised me but for the most part the quality of the customers was what I thought they would be. I was surprised at how I was allowed to be right by Onpatrol the entire time. No waiting in the car. I even had a few citizens give me the "GFY" stare.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm assuming semi-sarcasm w/ sad face, but the reality is, if you just pulled your own gun, the lawsuits would be flying. I'm pretty sure you are taught how to pull the shotgun though, should SHTF

ECU - did you get a chance to get a garbage plate at least? :)
For everyone who wants to carry on a ride along: What are you planning on doing? It's not like your going to be kicking doors in raiding drug houses. Just use common sense. I saw an officer place his hand on his pistol (even though it was just being used as a hand rest). When I saw that I slowly moved behind a telephone pole haha. I did not get a garbage plate., no time.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it.... You can come along anytime you fnd yourself up this way.

Also glad to see you've now mastered the difference between a tow slip and a toe tag, we certainly don't want to mix those up!!

Feel free to share stries from your experience. Since you don't know any names involved, nor is anything you went to involved in an ongoing investigation, I'm sure members here will want to hear your experiences.

Sounds like everything worked out okay on the traffic stop....... You must have picked up some bad habits from us racing around in the patrol car!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
For everyone who wants to carry on a ride along: What are you planning on doing? It's not like your going to be kicking doors in raiding drug houses. Just use common sense. I saw an officer place his hand on his pistol (even though it was just being used as a hand rest). When I saw that I slowly moved behind a telephone pole haha. I did not get a garbage plate., no time.
Uhh, you really can't see the desire to carry while riding in a cop car? seems like common sense that you'd want to carry there even more than just for EDC, and even then most of us wish to carry.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Uhh, you really can't see the desire to carry while riding in a cop car? seems like common sense that you'd want to carry there even more than just for EDC, and even then most of us wish to carry.
That was partially a joke. You know, just hide behind a telephone pole. Just because you can't carry doesn't mean you should avoid a ride along. A life lived scared is not a life lived! There is a fing 870 right behind you. If you are going to criticize people on the internet you should at least experience a small part of what they go through. That goes for any career.

Edit:
The criticize people was not directed Darth. I was saying it in about the entire forum.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad you enjoyed it.... You can come along anytime you fnd yourself up this way.

Also glad to see you've now mastered the difference between a tow slip and a toe tag, we certainly don't want to mix those up!!

Feel free to share stries from your experience. Since you don't know any names involved, nor is anything you went to involved in an ongoing investigation, I'm sure members here will want to hear your experiences.

Sounds like everything worked out okay on the traffic stop....... You must have picked up some bad habits from us racing around in the patrol car!
Yeah the toe vs tow tripped me up for a minute! I do recall names, I just wont post all of them. One was from the 10th mountain division named Davis. Was Scarface ever charged with that 1911 that was found in the garbage can? Did anyone ever happen to find that green Yamaha (no such thing from the factory)? How did things work out with the overly concerned neighborhood watch guy go?

As for the traffic stop.... I told him where I just was and he actually did some work that way. He commented how it was a different world where I got pulled over. He thanked me for telling him I was carrying and about the rifle I bought from Gunner in the back seat. He also mentioned that the car that was pulled in front of me was not as polite (guessing rich lake people because the carwas out of state and about 100k). I do blame you for my driving on the way back.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
That was partially a joke. You know, just hide behind a telephone pole. Just because you can't carry doesn't mean you should avoid a ride along. A life lived scared is not a life lived! There is a fing 870 right behind you. If you are going to criticize people on the internet you should at least experience a small part of what they go through. That goes for any career.
I think ride-alongs are a great idea. Not only does it show prospective officers, or even just those interested at all, what it actually entails, it also provides transparency in the field. Like the dash cams. They protect both the citizens and officers.

That doesn't really change the fact that no carrying is a dumb CYA policy, but that's what they apparently want so so be it. I'm not sure who is criticizing anyone on the Internet. We've had discussions on here in which the actions of some people, both LEOs and non, were questionable if that is what you are getting at.

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
Tell me you got a sub from Gunner's place, Yes? I didn't on my last purchase from him because it was off season, otherwise it would require food. Reminds me...need to head out there.

I've always wanted to do a ride along, I wasn't sure they still did stuff like that.
Do the calls increase or decrease with the rising temps? From what I saw it always seemed like domestic violence cases increased because people are more agitated but some petty crime decreased..maybe because the low lifes were too tired and hot too exert themselves. But I see a very narrow view of what I imagine a cop sees on a daily basis. There must be nothing more fragrant than some of those neighborhoods in the blazing hot sun and cultures that don't bathe a whole lot.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think ride-alongs are a great idea. Not only does it show prospective officers, or even just those interested at all, what it actually entails, it also provides transparency in the field. Like the dash cams. They protect both the citizens and officers.

That doesn't really change the fact that no carrying is a dumb CYA policy, but that's what they apparently want so so be it. I'm not sure who is criticizing anyone on the Internet. We've had discussions on here in which the actions of some people, both LEOs and non, were questionable if that is what you are getting at.
crit·i·cize (kr
t
-s
z
)v. crit·i·cized, crit·i·ciz·ing, crit·i·ciz·es
v.tr.1. To find fault with: criticized the decision as unrealistic. See Usage Note at critique.
2. To judge the merits and faults of; analyze and evaluate.

I think it's safe to say some here criticize! I know I have done it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts