New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a Rossi Ranch Hand in .38/357. It's not an "evil black gun" but is it legal to have one in NY. More than likely if it is, I would expect to have to put this on a pistol permit, correct? The information I've found only deals with black guns, I'm not looking to modify anything. The Rossi comes stock with a 12" barrel..

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
12" barrel rifle is not legal in NY, I believe the minimum length is 18". I don't think you could register it as a handgun because it does have fixed stock, not a pistol grip. We can't have any fun stuff here :'(

·
Registered
341 Posts
12" barrel rifle is not legal in NY, I believe the minimum length is 18". I don't think you could register it as a handgun because it does have fixed stock, not a pistol grip. We can't have any fun stuff here :'(
It's a pistol. The state police like to say it is a short barreled rifle but according to the ATF and NYS penal law it is a handgun. Some FFL's will transfer it others wont.

11. "Rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and
intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and
made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic
cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for
each single pull of the trigger.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
It's a pistol. The state police like to say it is a short barreled rifle but according to the ATF and NYS penal law it is a handgun. Some FFL's will transfer it others wont.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

Really, I was under the impression they were shoulder fired, therefore a rifle. The one's I've seen were anyhow. Although they were in pictures only, so are the stocks really that short ?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Watch the beginning of this video (also in the thumbnail). It's a pistol. The standard stock is too short to shoulder. Some gun stores are confused on the issue, but you can register is as a pistol on your permit.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Well I stand corrected lol, they are much shorter than I thought. I just don't get it, why bother having a stock at all ? Love the suppressor on that one though :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, as I suspected the Ranch Hand falls into a strange category of firearms. I've been informed a few times that I could put this on a pistol permit, yet no one knows just how or why. I have to do more research, but I really don't think New York is going to let me have one!

·
Registered
753 Posts
great video. I now have more reasons to leave NY !

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Ok, as I suspected the Ranch Hand falls into a strange category of firearms. I've been informed a few times that I could put this on a pistol permit, yet no one knows just how or why. I have to do more research, but I really don't think New York is going to let me have one!
There is absolutely nothing strange about it. It's a pistol because it was not designed to be fired from the shoulder.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It is sold here as a handgun, have sold two so far and now had one in 357 and 45lc.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts