New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Been a lurker for a while, but first post...

I've had rifles and shotguns for a while, and want to get my pistol permit as a Rockland County resident. The application requires character witnesses in Rockland County. I've lived in the county for only 1.5 years, so the only people in the county as opposed to in other NY counties are my neighbors, and I don't really want them in my business with this.

Have others navigated similar issues? Any advice as to options for this would be greatly appreciated. Plenty of character witnesses, no criminal history, work as a professional, etc, just none within county.

Thx in advance

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi All,

Been a lurker for a while, but first post...

I've had rifles and shotguns for a while, and want to get my pistol permit as a Rockland County resident. The application requires character witnesses in Rockland County. I've lived in the county for only 1.5 years, so the only people in the county as opposed to in other NY counties are my neighbors, and I don't really want them in my business with this.

Have others navigated similar issues? Any advice as to options for this would be greatly appreciated. Plenty of character witnesses, no criminal history, work as a professional, etc, just none within county.

Thx in advance
Ask the County to make an exception, other counties will allow you to select a character reference from another county.
My old neighbor moved to Chemung County. He needed one year of residency and 4 character references. He joined a gun club and got his license in 2 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, when I called the county office they told me "must be in Rockland, any other questions?" I can try again, as the person seemed married to the idea of being unhelpful. Might be dependent on who you reach there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Unfortunately, when I called the county office they told me "must be in Rockland, any other questions?" I can try again, as the person seemed married to the idea of being unhelpful. Might be dependent on who you reach there.
You may address them with a letter explaining the situation. The important part is you reside in the county over 1 year. It’s not a law, only a policy.
They will respond back, it shouldn’t be an issue as all the references are residents in New York.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The whole licensing requirements are policies which was the point of the Bruen lawsuit. All the courts are upholding Bruen even an Obama and a Biden appointee ruled quoting Bruen. it's only a matter of time before all of this is struck down and right now there is a case before judge reviewing this. Right now i would just sit tight and wait until this whole bs is overturned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts