121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody got their permit *Recently*

I'm currently at 2 1/2 Months...

Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you know how long it's been since your references sent back their letters? I'm going on 6 weeks now and all my references got their letters sent out on Monday.

Last time I was in the clerk told me she processed 52 applications in the previous 2wks. They also overbooked our March class ( 52 instead of 44 people). It might just take awhile.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Rockland IMO is on top of things with the permits. livescan and well staffed sheriffs dept / clerks office, things are probably moving as fast as they can. the norm seems to be 6 weeks with fast reference returns and zero background issues. I have heard some staffing issues with NYS mental health is slowing somethings down in background process, but thats just hearsay.

If your judge takes vacation during the process that could add 1 or 2 weeks. Learned that the hard way with an amendment during the holidays.

Its hard but just forget about it ;) and it will show up lol. I was expecting the 4 months they advertised so 6 weeks was a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
After recommendations get back, are there any other hurdles? I'm figuring at this point my package gets compiled and sent to a judge at this point. OP, do you know how much of the process you've completed at this point?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know how long it's been since your references sent back their letters? I'm going on 6 weeks now and all my references got their letters sent out on Monday.

Last time I was in the clerk told me she processed 52 applications in the previous 2wks. They also overbooked our March class ( 52 instead of 44 people). It might just take awhile.
Well, My References got their Letters in Less Than A Week... And They All Sent Them Back The SAME DAY! So They Had them About Jan 30th. And I took the First Class Availible in Feb.

For a 50+ year old man... I"ve never been so anxious in my whole life! it's horrible!

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm Currently now at just over 3 Months... Course Taken Feb 9th. References got letters Feb 1, replied next Day.

Has anyone Just gotten theirs? Want to know if I should keep my hopes up or forget it for a while.

Thanks,

Royd

·
Registered
149 Posts
My wife and I handed in all of our papers in June 2011 and they came in the mail around the end of August 2011. We were told 6 month so that was a great surprise.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
As fast as your references were, and the fact that your class was a while ago, I would say you are due. Give Kathleen a call over there at 638-5320 and say that you understand that you might be about due for completion and you were curious and wanted to check on it. She' real nice and helpful.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have also been hearing large amounts of recent NYPD retirees have been adding to rockland wait times recently.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OMG!

I Can't Believe it!!! Just Went to the Mail Box There IT'S HERE!

3 1/2 MONTHS TO THE DAY!

I'm absolutely Giddy!!!

Weird Thing is though... It Was Signed By The JUDGE on March 9th!!!
6 WEEKS after I turned in the paperwork!

Another Memeber said got his in six weeks but I would have never believed it.... I wonder why it took 2 months to get here after the good judge signed off on it? Hmmm

thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice. I had everything in by Feb 20th, with my class on March 20, references in by March... so I would assume I'm due for my permit sometime middle to end of June. The wait is the awful, but at least I've had time to shop around.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
what was the name of the judge that signed if you dont mind me asking
It was the Good Judge Kelly. There was a post sometime ago here naming which judge you would be assigned according to the last digit of you SS#.

It was correct in saying that he would be my judge... They say he doesn't let stuff pile up on his desk, and if he approved you, he would sign quickly.

Thing I can't figure out is he signed my permit 6wks after my papers were turned in. Signed on march 9th, and I didn't get the permit for 2 more months... What was going on with my permit for those 2 months? Investiation was obviously done!

Royd

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Just cause the judge gets name on paper in a timely fashion doesn't mean every individual from the secretary though permit assembler (if on paper type) sorter through envelope typer and letter stuffer through mail room folk are as efficient.

May even have been a case of 'we mail pernits every X' and you happened to be at the wrong end of the window.

No matter, you got it now and that's the important part.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I doubt this is the case in rockland. they are extremelty efficient. Considering the 4-5 judges signing are county judges and are extremely busy handling some high profile cases lately and still pumping the permit stuff out. Alot of NYPD and local LEO retirees probably get fast tracked. Remember Rockland is "Copland" minus stallone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts