New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I own an AR15, 12 Ga, and .22 is there any range, indoor or out that i can shoot all 3 types at?

So far everything is either recommendation only, or 200+, or i have to help run the club or this and that.

I just want a place to go shoot around a couple times a year when my schedule frees up instead of looking at my rifle sit and stare with sorrow!

So any information or recommendations would be appreciated so i can get back into my passion that i had noooo troubles with in KY!!!

Thanks

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Genesee Conservation League is in Rochester. I am a member there. We have an indoor range for pistols below 1,500 fps which also allows.22LR out of rifles. We have an outdoor rifle range up to 200 yards (25 yards minimum), and an outdoor pistol range up to 50 yards (also allows .22LR rifles). There are archery ranges and some pistol ranges which allow movement and drawing from holster.

Shotgun is slugs only, on the rifle range. There is a shotgun station for patterning but the closest target holder is 25 yards, I find that with my HD shotgun I only get a couple pellets on target at that range. I take it out once a year or so to shoot slugs. There is an excellent trap/skeet club in the area as well called Outlet.

Fees will be about $300 for the first year including all ranges, and about $150 a year after. The indoor range is additional; if you don't spring for that subtract about $40 from both.

When I did my search, the only other close choice was Rochester Rifle Club. They have limitations like 5 rounds max loaded and no rapid fire. I was not interested in that.

Rochester Brooks is a great club too, I've taken classes there but am not a member. No indoor range there though. I find the indoor range to be a huge value add 9 months out of the year. Rochester winters may be new to you coming from KY, but you won't want to spend a lot of time shooting outside when its 4 degrees :)

· Registered
6,189 Posts
Genesee Conservation League is in Rochester. I am a member there. We have an indoor range for pistols below 1,500 fps which also allows.22LR out of rifles. We have an outdoor rifle range up to 200 yards (25 yards minimum), and an outdoor pistol range up to 50 yards (also allows .22LR rifles). There are archery ranges and some pistol ranges which allow movement and drawing from holster.

Shotgun is slugs only, on the rifle range. There is a shotgun station for patterning but the closest target holder is 25 yards, I find that with my HD shotgun I only get a couple pellets on target at that range. I take it out once a year or so to shoot slugs. There is an excellent trap/skeet club in the area as well called Outlet.

Fees will be about $300 for the first year including all ranges, and about $150 a year after. The indoor range is additional; if you don't spring for that subtract about $40 from both.

When I did my search, the only other close choice was Rochester Rifle Club. They have limitations like 5 rounds max loaded and no rapid fire. I was not interested in that.

Rochester Brooks is a great club too, I've taken classes there but am not a member. No indoor range there though. I find the indoor range to be a huge value add 9 months out of the year. Rochester winters may be new to you coming from KY, but you won't want to spend a lot of time shooting outside when its 4 degrees :)
I think the RRC also requires that members belong to the NRA.

· Registered
283 Posts
I belong to GCL and opt for the indoor range, dues are $160 or so IIRR. I live closer to Brooks but I don't shoot shotgun, so that doesn't interest me.

To run out and pop off a few rounds I may look into Lima but I don't know if the "reference required" is a hard rule or not. I don't mind the work requirement, if you've been to the outdoor pistol range at GCL lately I've been the one repairing the target holders gratis.

· Registered
2,222 Posts
For your needs GCL or Rochester Brooks are probably your best options. As mentioned Rochester Brooks doesn't have any indoor ranges which may matter a lot to you in the winter.

However GCL's initial costs can be fairly offputting. Keep an eye out during the gun show in March where they will occasionally offer to waive the initiation fees.

· Registered
2,536 Posts
You didn't say if you are on the east side or the west side. Canandaigua Sportsmens Club is just a few minutes off Exit 44 on the t-way, which is only five minutes from 490. They're about $100 a year.

· Registered
708 Posts
+1 on Ontario - that's why I asked where OP lived. $60 a year, one-time range orientation / gate access gizmo fee of another $40. Three covered bench rifle range with 50, 100, 200 yards. Berm enclosed pistol / tactical range with 50 yard depth. Steel Challenge type matches and tactical rifle matches. AR friendly. All expressway from the city but for the last couple miles. Contact forum member "bear arms" for more information.

· Registered
1,034 Posts
Holley Rod and Gun Club, dues are about 40 bucks a year, the shoot trap every thursday and I suppose you could throw your own clays if you wanted anytime. They have a 100 yard, and 50 yard rifle range as well as a 15 yard pistol range.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all who have chimed in so far!!
To those who asked, I live in Brighton, but I am open for a 20-30 min drive. From the posts, I will look into Ontario Rod, Holley Rod, Canandagua and Genesee and do some comparisons. AR and 22 will mostly be what i shoot until i get my permit here.

· Registered
20 Posts
How often are the trap/skeet fields open at GCL? I'm looking into joining a new club, I shoot a little bit of everything, rifle, pistol and shotgun. The price is a little steep to join, compared to my current club. Just seeing if the more expensive fee is worth the change in club.

· Registered
620 Posts
How often are the trap/skeet fields open at GCL? I'm looking into joining a new club, I shoot a little bit of everything, rifle, pistol and shotgun. The price is a little steep to join, compared to my current club. Just seeing if the more expensive fee is worth the change in club.
GCL always has a club Official on duty when club is open. Stop by there any time while open. If you go , Go into club house and ask anyone for help. Also I am VP of Ontairo Rod and gun, Please except my invite to shoot at our Club as my Guest , Maybe tommarro if you can. i'll be there til about 2 or 3 pm. Good Luck KEN

· Registered
471 Posts
GCL does not have Trap/skeet. I believe many years ago they did, but not any more, indoor pistol/rimfire rifle range, outdoor pistol and seperate rifle range. Great club though, so is Ontario and Canandaigua.

· Registered
283 Posts
The story I got on the GCL trap / skeet range was that Manitou was going to sell their place but they were worried about issues with all the lead shot in the pond. They asked GCL not to shoot shotgun there anymore.

· Registered
20 Posts
GCL always has a club Official on duty when club is open. Stop by there any time while open. If you go , Go into club house and ask anyone for help. Also I am VP of Ontairo Rod and gun, Please except my invite to shoot at our Club as my Guest , Maybe tommarro if you can. i'll be there til about 2 or 3 pm. Good Luck KEN
Thanks for the open invite, couldn't make a range trip today. I currently belong to Williamson rod & gun, and I don't have any complaints about the place, I especially enjoy the sporting clay course. Just looking to keep my options open and see what else is out there.

· Registered
2,005 Posts
Just to toss this in here, Brockport Conservation Club had an outdoor 120yard range for large caliber pistol and rifle, or shotgun w/ slug. We shoot trap every Monday night, sporterifle (.22 rifle @ 50') Tuesday and Friday, and pistol league on Thursday night (starting in January - .22 only til spring).
We also have an indoor 50' only .22 range for pistol or rifle.
Dues are $100/yr.
you can shoot your AR at the outdoor range, 12 gauge - depends on what kind of shot you want to use, and .22 either indoor or outdoor.

you can PM me with any questions. We are just off Rt 19, so not too far from Brighton, a little closer than Holley is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.