New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I shoot mine often enough that I'm not too worried about the barrels rusting. If i were putting them away for a while, I'd run an oily patch through the barrel.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Per my sons NRA jr rifle class you should run an oily patch through them. I cant say i always do that myself, havent seen any ill effects yet, come to think of it i dont clean my guns any where near as often as i'm supposed to, so dont go by what i do.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I always keep my barrels a little oily, it cant hurt ur gun really.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It would depend on what you are doing with it. If your cleaning it to put away for a while then a little oil is good or if your doing a full clean. If your shooting it all the time you really don't need it. A lot of .22's group better when a little dirty, I just run a patch to keep the loose stuff cleaned up. If I start losing my grouping I will do a full clean with a brass brush and put a bit of oil down it, Once a year or so depending how much I'm shooting that gun.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I was talking about shooting and not for storage. I should have been clearer. I was told rimfires especially 22's do not like lubed barrels and are more accurate dry.

James

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Yeah, I was talking about shooting and not for storage. I should have been clearer. I was told rimfires especially 22's do not like lubed barrels and are more accurate dry.

James
That would be my opinion as well. If you're shooting it and it's not sitting in a cabinet or safe for collector reasons, dry is fine. I also find them more accurate dry with no oil in the barrel. With that said, I know many shooters that prefer the barrel dirty for accuracy purposes and they won't touch the action either!! I have the small dehumidifiers in the safe and cabinets I have. They are the type you can plug in to get rid of the moisture they collect and just place them back in with the guns. No complaints here.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I always oil all my barrels when I clean them, especially in the summer time.

I really don't go for any better than grey squirrel grouping at 40 yards though, so I can't attest to tack driver accuracy.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
My buddy and I run oil through our barrels after cleaning and we were shooting a 1 1/2 inch target at 65 yards 95% of the time. we don't leave it real wet though we run a dry patch through after the oil patch, maybe that is still considered dry?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts