New York Firearms Forum banner

Rimfire and NYS AWB

Tags
awb nys rimfire
2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  minderasr 
#1 ·
Quick question. Someone sent me a pdf of California's AWB. I noticed rimfire is exempt. Is this also true in NYS? Could one use high capacity magazines in (for example) a 10/22?

TIA

#2 ·
i'm not sure but i don't think so because i have seen "pre ban" hi cap 10/22 mags for sale at local stores. if it didn't matter why would they label them pre ban? i went to a gun store once and asked why the new ruger 22 ar-15 type had a collapsible stock and the guy behind the counter said because it was a 22. so his statement supports that it is exempt but i think he was wrong.

#5 ·
Rimfire is not exempt, but the tubular magazine feeding device used on some guns are (Marlin 60 and variants for example). This is a fairly common misunderstanding.
California Law is basically the same as our own law here

State of California Dept. of Justice website
12020 thru 12040 Unlawful Carrying and Possession - Dangerous Weapons Control Laws - Dangerous Weapons Control Laws - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General
ARTICLE 2. UNLAWFUL CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF WEAPONS
(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following: (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds. (B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device. (C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

#6 ·
Also note that the AWB and the LCAFD (Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device) laws are 2 different things.

#7 ·
Ah, I didn't realize that. Thanks everyone, for the info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.