New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am waiting on my permit to come ( I hope) . I was looking at the m&p compact or the shield. The shield seems to be right handed only, so how hard would it be to shoot and use being i am left handed. I would leave safety off so my big concern would be the mag release. I will add that i am right eye dominit and i shoot long guns right handed . just has always felt better.thanks for any opinions.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I am a lefty.

If you are doing any action/defensive type shooting or carrying concealed then the things I would look for are an ambidextrous mag release and an ambi safety. The slide stop does not matter most of the time. The only time you really lock the slide back is an administrative function so I just switch hands.

If the gun has a safety don't leave it off.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm a lefty, at first it seems hopeless but I trained with the guns I now own and especially the ones I carry I can honestly say I have no problems using most right handed only guns and actually prefer them for cc over double sided controls because they are usually slimmer. I use my straight index finger and slide it up on the frame to lock the slide back and use my middle finger to release the mags, most people don't even notice that the guns I'm using are right handed only. The only guns you may have a problem with are the ones with smaller safeties toward the back or the firearm. I'd suggest going to some shops and feel the crap out of many guns and make sure you can operate the controls.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Using your middle finger to release mags breaks your firing grip.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Don't most right handed people have to adjust their right hand to reach a mag release with their thumb? I know my doesn't reach well enough to depress the mag release with a solid grip. I have medium sized hands(with shorter fingers and thumbs).

God I'm starting to think I'm a freak :(

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I don't break my grip to drop the mag on my guns with ambi mag releases.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I am left handed shooter, there isn't a single ambi mag relase pistol that I tried that allows me to use my thumb to release the mag without breaking the grip. I heard good things about the H&K/Walther mag releases though, never tried one.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info guys, I will just try them both and see how they feel, then pick.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I am left handed shooter, there isn't a single ambi mag relase pistol that I tried that allows me to use my thumb to release the mag without breaking the grip. I heard good things about the H&K/Walther mag releases though, never tried one.
I do it OK on my XD-40. I have aftermarket (Cylinder and slide) releases on my hipower and 1911 that also let me do it without breaking the grip. I kind of roll my thumb onto the release button.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I am also a southpaw, I just use my trigger finger to drop the magazines and the slide stop lever on the 1911. for the thumb safety I have used my trigger finger to release it as well but it is easier to have an ambi safety installed.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
The other problem is finding left-handed holsters for less common makes/models... which pretty much limits you to Glocks, Beretta 92's, 1911's, etc... etc... unless you go with a "generic" holster, do a LOT of looking around, or find someone who'll make one custom.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The M&P series has a reversible magazine release (at least my full-size does), so you can swap it into being a left-friendly pistol. Also has ambi slide release, and most are like the Glocks where they have the passive safety features, unless you opt for one with an external safety. If you need a lefty gun, it's a good choice.

I believe Glock also offers a reversible mag release, but I don't know about the slide release.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is correct, the m&p series do offer the option to swap controls, except for the shield. I am leaning towards a compact due to the shield being right handed only. Plus being so new you never know what king of problems it may have with the first production run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts