New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used regular rifle scopes on my 22 rimfire rifles. I ussally by older Redfield that I pick up used. I've never had any trouble with them over the years. Some of the gun guys at the shows say that a 22 rimfire will trash a rifle scope.
Whats your expierance with rifle scopes on a 22 rimfre rifle?

I've killed thousands of squirrels over the years with a Marlin model 882 topped with a 3X9 Bushnel rifle scope and it still shots great. I have several Redfields on several of the older 22 caliber rifles I have.

Most of the 22 rifles I have, have the grooved recievers. Whats the best scope mounts out there for the grooved-recievers? On a couple of the rifles I have the see-thru recievers mounted on them.

Before I bought the 22mag I used a old Mossberg model 340 with a redfield monted on it. I used that gun for years and killed thousand of squirrels & hundreds of ***** with it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have and have had scopes on a number of .22 rifles. Never trashed one just by shooing the rifle. A 10/22 I have has had 1000's of rounds put through it, not a single scope issue! (the scope was put on when it was new).

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
My first rimfire is my 10/22 purchased in 1984. It came with a cheap Bushnell scope. Its worked all these years.....until about 5 months ago. For some reason the reticle has rotated about 22.5 degrees. Instead of a cross in the eyepiece it is now a 'V'. I've taken the eyepiece off and physically set the reticle back to 'zero'. It works for about one magazine and invariably it rotates again. Is this because it's a .22? Or is this because it is a cheap scope?

Any permanent fixes someone can recommend? Or a good new scope recommendation (with mount recommendation too)?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
My first rimfire is my 10/22 purchased in 1984. It came with a cheap Bushnell scope. Its worked all these years.....until about 5 months ago. For some reason the reticle has rotated about 22.5 degrees. Instead of a cross in the eyepiece it is now a 'V'. I've taken the eyepiece off and physically set the reticle back to 'zero'. It works for about one magazine and invariably it rotates again. Is this because it's a .22? Or is this because it is a cheap scope?

Any permanent fixes someone can recommend? Or a good new scope recommendation (with mount recommendation too)?
Only 30 years out of it, bummer lol! Get a Nikon P-22, nice scope for the money.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've bought several used scopes on E Bay, at the gun shows and I've bought a few rifles that had a decent scope, I'd strip the scope and sell the rifle with out the scope and broke even most of the time. A couple of times It would cost me a few bucks, but I'd end up with a nice Redfield or Leupod scope for less then $50.

I bought one Redfield years ago that had a broken reciptacle, I sent it back to Redfield to get repaired. They fixed it and it looked like a new scope out of the box., no charge.

Going with a nice rifle scope on a rimfire is the only way to go in my opinion. I've had good rifle scopes on a few of my 22s for a few decades and never had a problem. People always have their opinion on things and believe things that others say even thou they have no expierance with the subject.
My brother in-law is one that believes a 22 will trash a rifle scope.

I do have an old Bushnell on a 22 that is worn out, it is a 3x9 and it's getting hard to turn it to the other powers and the numbers are all worn off the scope, but it's still shooting straight.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Some of the gun guys would be talking about spring piston air rifles. These rifles have a different recoil impulse akin to a harsh vibration. They can trash a purpose built rifle scope. A 22lr will not ruin a rifle scope. A rifle can ruin a 22lr scope.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Sounds like bull**** to me. Might have issues on a high powered air rifle, reverse recoil.
This is where I've always heard this rumor comes from. Supposedly it's a myth started by a misunderstanding based simply on that air rifles do come in .22 caliber.

It's fairly well documented that spring powered air rifles can mess up the internals of rifle scopes by the vibrations/angle of recoil/impact of the energies involved. Those that come in .22 caliber are generally some of the more powerful ones, to push the large projectile, so it makes sense why .22 might be associated with the idea. I've also heard that pump airguns can do damage by the consistent impacts of the pump part on the receiver from below, and this does seem logical.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Shooting 100 rounds from my heavy spring pistol air rifle hurts my shoulder. Shooting 100 rounds from my 22lr doesn't register. My spring air rife weighs 8 pounds, my 22lr weighs 5 pounds. The air rifle is shooting an 8 grain projectile 1000 fps, the 22lr is shooting a 36 grain projectile at 1200fps. The air rifle vibrates, makes a donk noise, and recoils backwards sharply. The 22lr snaps and recoils backwards.

·
Registered
897 Posts
My Diana 48 in .22 cal will certainly mess up a scope. It killed a Tasco, and a Bushnell. Now I use a BSA 3-12x 44 to zero in on tree rats, idjet rabbits, and other furry critters, I'm a fixin ta eat!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most of my 22 rifles are topped with Redfield scopes. When I lived back there in New York I use to hunt squirrels every day from sunup until around 9am. I had some really good ares that I hunted and most of the time limit out. I'd use my 22 mag mostly' occasionally I'd take one of my 22lr rifles. I use to like hunting the Shagbark Hickories in October, I love the sound of the squirrels climbing on that ruff bark. They'd come from way off to get into them Hickories. I had several places that I hunted that had stands of Beech, Hickory, Butternut, and White Oak. They prefer White oak over Red Oak. Depending on the time of the month would dictate which place to go hunt at.
Having a scope on the 22 made al the differance in the world for me, especially with the longer shots. That's why I switched over to the 22mag, I could take longer shot and not have the drop the regular 22lr has. Then when the leaves are off the shots taken are generally at greater distances.
I'd have squirrel soup all winter, I wish they had them here in huntable numbers. You only see them in the cities out here in Washington State. Washington is the Evergreen State, Squirrels don't particularly like Pine Trees. The Eastern part of the state is high desert. Even the deer are in low numbers out here, and if you do get one they don't taste that good.

I do miss the hunting back there in New York and Pennsylvania. I had so many good places to go hunting for every type of game I wanted to hunt with in a half an hour drive from the house.
If I had to pick only one type of animal to hunt, It would be the Gray Squirrel with a scope monted 22 caliber rimfire rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts