New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am sorry if this has been addressed before (I have found many threads, but no definitive answer or specifically pertaining to a trunk-less vehicle). You you have a link I would appreciate it, but if not I would like some input.

I have a small Audi that does not have a separate trunk compartment as well as a Explorer. Neither of those have a dedicated lockable trunk. The Explorer is not as much of a issue as when I have my gear in it, it is not in arms reach. The Audi, I can turnaround and touch my gear if I wanted. From what I have read (which I take with a grain of salt as it was on the internet) is that if you have a long gun in the passenger compartment as well as ammo, one of those must be in a locked case/container with no loaded mags. Also, some people claim you must have your rifle and ammo in separate compartments such as trunk and cabin.

If anyone knows what the legality concerning my situation I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
I ca't speak for NYC but in the rest of the state. you can have the long gun unloaded, leaned on the front passenger seat with a pocket full of ammo. There is no locking or seperate storage requirement for a long gun.

Now what is allowed and what makes sense can be two different things. I don't like my scoped long guns bumping and bouncing around so they are cased.....unlocked and in many cases the ammo in in the case or a range bag.

THe only grey area that I have seen is the wording that requires they be unloaded in the magazine and chamber. THe grey area being ....a loaded mag that is NOT int he gun....is that still considered loaded. I can't help you there. when I had guns that took mags I never transported them loaded. I never like the tension to sit ont he springs. (whether it mad a difference or not I didn't do it)

Handgun regulations are a different animal all together.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I drive a WRX wagon. Guns go in the back with the seat folded down so they stick into the back seat. Unloaded of course. Amms is in the range bag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, Thanks guys. Jeff thats exactly how I do it when I shoot my rifles, as they will not fit width-wise in my trunk. The rear seat always stays down, and no one would want to sit back there anyways.

So the consensus is unloaded rifle, in a separate container, but not required to be in a separate area of the vehicle? I always keep my mags unloaded for my rifles, so that is not a issue. Is the whole ammo and rifle in trunk and cabin just a wives tail, or did it have some legal significance at one point?

The main reason I was curious about the locking aspect of a case is that when I shoot with my friends, not all of them have lockable cases.

·
Registered
687 Posts
gun in a container is not required and if you wanted you could throw the loose bullts o the floor if you wanted. Wear one of the bandilerios if you want. ...lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha,ha. Do you know if the City of Rochester has a additional laws regarding transportation? I know they have several regarding firearms themselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts