New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice folks.
I don't own a revolver. Have been sort of looking around. .22 seems like a nice starting point.
Kit gun catagory seems to fit my fancy.
Today I looked at two S&W kit guns. First and formost theu must fit my hand. Both did.
New M317, 10 shot , 3 inch barrel. Man was it ever light weight. So much so that I wonder about accurate shooting.
Other was a used M63 no dash #. , 4 inch barrel, stainless, 6 shot. It had some no name after market grips and fit my hand nicely. Gun to my eyes and inspection seemed in better than average condition.
Neither was inexpensive. New 317 was $50.00 more than the used 63
So what do the revoler people have to say. Which one or neither?
Also, for that much money should I try to run down a new 63 with 3 inch barrel? Also 8 shot capacity.
On the lock. I really do not think it bothers me. Seems pretty unobtrusive as far as functionality goes.
Whats with the pinned and recessed on the older 63? Any big deal?
Thanks,
DD

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Would you consider a .38/.357 and learning how to reload? 158 grain wad cutters? With .22 ammo being as rare as honest politicians it might be a viable cost effective alternative.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Smith k frame model 18 (4 inch) or model 17 (6 inch) will be very accurate and the nice thing about wheel guns is you can do lots of different grip options

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would you consider a .38/.357 and learning how to reload? 158 grain wad cutters? With .22 ammo being as rare as honest politicians it might be a viable cost effective alternative.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have other calibers in semi for PD. I really think a nice .22 is in order and I do not own a revolver.
I have been thinking about reloading, however I am dreaming about .45 Colt.
On the .22 availability. Yes it is frustrating. I have made a rule for myself that I would not be standing in line when the ammo counter opens and I will not pay more than .06 cents a round for the average range stuff. In the last year 8 ot of 10 times I have tried to by .22 I have come away empty handed. ( I do not make a trip to the store just to try and by ammo. My ammo purchase is always incidental to other shopping. ) However, on those rare just by chance occasions that I have been successful I have managed to get a small reserve and have shot some as well. It can be done with some patience and perseverance.
No one own any S&W .22 wheel guns?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smith k frame model 18 (4 inch) or model 17 (6 inch) will be very accurate and the nice thing about wheel guns is you can do lots of different grip options
I actually fondled two K frame .22 today as well. Yes, the grip was bigger. However, there was something about the position of the trigger in SA. I had to lower my hand on the grip so far that the advantage of the larger grip was eliminated. Of course they were larger and heavier as well thus moving away from the "Kit Gun" theme.
Frankly I was very surprised to see how well the grip on the j frames fit my large hands.
On the 63, it was because it had grips more like the grips on the K frames. Someone had put them on aftermarket.
I had not even considered a J frame prior to trying these two today.
I like the M63 in stainless and I think I prefer the 4 inch barrel. I just do not know a lot about these older S&W and do not want to get into a money pit. It was $700.00 as is without the original grips.

·
Registered
905 Posts
i have a 63 that i haven't shot in some time. as i recall it was a good shooter but not a target gun. i wasn't familiar with the 317 until what i just read now (Smith & Wesson Model 317 .22 Kit Gun). my 63 impressed me as being a pretty light gun to tote around, the 317 is about half the weight. just guessing i think i would like the additional weight of the 63 for a steadier hold aiming. if you buy a clean original 63 and take care of it my guess would be it would hold it's value better in the end. s&w collectors prize the earlier guns more. the old 63 would have no warranty, the new 317 would have the lifetime warranty. i also have a model 18 that is an excellent gun but bigger and heavier for hiking purpose. i might lean towards the 17 or 18 if you really want to target shoot over a back pack gun. if you go this route you might want to look at the ss ruger as well, less money and a good gun. now wring your hands, read and go handle some more guns. good luck.......

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Consider the following
1.) New Smith & Wesson Model 66 (blast away with any ammo)
2.) Old Smith & Wesson Model 66 (use 158 grain ammo only)
3.) Ruger GP100/SP101
4.) Ruger RedHawk (can get a variety of calibers, including 45 colt)
5.) A Smith & Wesson 9mm or 45 ACP revolver with moon clips

Personally I would stick to 4 inch revolvers.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Any Smith would do for me. I have a few 617's, one 10 shot, one 6 shot. Love those guns, but if weight is an issue, look for a nice K frame or J frame. I had an 8 shot 317, pre lock, but sold it. That gun weighed some 10 oz.
If blue guns are your thing, a 17, 18 or 34 is the ticket.
I'd love to find a reasonably priced older 63 with a 2 inch barrel, but that's asking for alot. The 4 inch barelled 63's are nice also, and pricey as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 63 is a great revolver, I currently have the same model. Pinned refers to the barrel, and recessed refers to the recessed cylinder (allows for the rim of the cartridge to sit more flush with the cylinder.

The no-dash has a decent resale value to collectors, depending on the condition. I have found mine to be very accurate, and the weight is dead-on for me. How much are they asking?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 63 is a great revolver, I currently have the same model. Pinned refers to the barrel, and recessed refers to the recessed cylinder (allows for the rim of the cartridge to sit more flush with the cylinder.

The no-dash has a decent resale value to collectors, depending on the condition. I have found mine to be very accurate, and the weight is dead-on for me. How much are they asking?
Used M63 was just over $700.00
M317 was $759.00
I was at another place that would sell me the new Model 63 with 3 inch barrel for $690.00. But no distributors had any.
Still snooping around.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You don't own a revolver, but do you own pistols?

Honestly...my revolvers hardly ever get shot. They just bore me for some reason. But my pistols make it out to the range with every time I go. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Honestly...my revolvers hardly ever get shot. They just bore me for some reason. But my pistols make it out to the range with every time I go. Just my $0.02
Yes on the semi's, but no revolvers. Just thought it would be nice to have one.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Went crazy for just long enough to purchase a High Standard Sentinel.
What the hell it was inexpensive and seems to be in good working order.
Turned in the amendment form today.
It is fairly light weight and has a 3 inch barrel so it fits the kit gun category well.
Like most firearms I have read both positive and negative comments.
One thing I really like is it s simple, uncluttered and seems to have an ergonomically designed frame.
Grooves one ether side for thumb placement and the absence of the cylinder release in the traditional S&W location is something I like.
Be interesting to see if I can hit anything with it.

·
Registered
960 Posts

Some guys just don't like bottom feeders. Remember the K frames come in square and round butt - big difference in comfort. Keep in mind that you can shoot a concealed hammerless revolver from inside a jacket pocket without jamming.

Check out ICORE Homepage

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some guys just don't like bottom feeders. Remember the K frames come in square and round butt - big difference in comfort. Keep in mind that you can shoot a concealed hammerless revolver from inside a jacket pocket without jamming.

Check out ICORE Homepage
Good point on the concealed hammerless revolver. Same if the muzzle is up against the bad guy!

·
Registered
486 Posts
You can't go wrong with a smith revolver, I would put my faith in a revolver over a semi anyday. Just B carful once you get into revolvers you will have yet another bug that requires you to buy more on a regular basis! Haha

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You can't go wrong with a smith revolver, I would put my faith in a revolver over a semi anyday. Just B carful once you get into revolvers you will have yet another bug that requires you to buy more on a regular basis! Haha
Boy that is the truth. I bought one just because, and now I own 7 revolvers and 2 derringers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts