New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What method do you carry your revolver in? Do you tend to carry it iwb or owb? I recently acquired and LCR and I am aiming to buy a holster once. I am currently debating between a hybrid IWB or leather OWB. Would appreciate some thoughts on the issue!

PS this is for belt carry non sob. I try to train to carry all my firearms in the same place for consistency reasons.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My main way is shoulder holster. I can get away with that because I wear a jacket most times. Without jacket, I have an old bianchi iwb that's comfortable for me.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I were my .38 on ankle or with "smart carry" iwb pouch. Do to the weight, this smart carry holds right below the navel and just above the peck..very comfortable, you can bend turn and crouch lol

·
Registered
810 Posts
Anybody that seriously carries has a box of used holsters. Until you wear it for a while there is just no way to know what will work best for you. My methods I have used to carry my j frame include shoulder owb iwb pocket and ankle - while consistency in carry and technique is a good thing sometimes based on wardrobe activity weather you may have to have more than one option. To stretch it out a bit that is why almost no one I know who carries all the time or close to it has only a single carry gun. Over time it becomes obvious the best carry choice while wearing shorts sandals and a t shirt in a low risk area is not the same as that you would wear in cooler weather under a jacket in a high crime area. Depending on all these factors I go from my smallest gun ( seecamp 32 in a pocket holster) through glock 26,19,j,k,1911 depending on the situation, sometimes carrying more than one

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well this certainly isnt my only carry gun but it is my first carry revolver. I got it to replace a 9mm which when both loaded was double the weight (this gun is actually replacing two guns, the other one had poor reliability). I found i often wouldnt carry because the weight would eat at me by the end of a long day which left me to usually leave it behind to avoid the soreness that often followed a full day of carry.

I know generally speaking iwb is much better concealment especially with tshirts and such but i was curious about if an owb snubbies like the lcr could conceal as well as a thin single stack 9mm due to the curves of the waist line for those winter months as we do live in NY after all.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Major covered it good. I carry Every/Day All/Day, I've tried several semi,s and several revolvers. My main carry gun I carry every day isa S&W 642 Airweight 38 + P in a pocket holster in my front pocket. If I go to any high crime areas or places I'm not familiar with I'll carry a 1911 in a IWB holster on the right side of my back if just wearing a longsleve shirt not tucked in or jacket. If I'm wearing a jacket or coat I'll carry a 357mag revolver in a OWB holster. I just bought a 10mm Glock 20 to carry when it cools down a little, I have two 15 round mags for it, I need to pick up a coulpe more mags and a couple of holsters for it. I'm thinking about a nice Galco Miami Classic leather holster for this and my Colt 1911.

I hit the pawn shops up and get leather holsters for $10 a piece and $5 for the nylon holsters. I have a bunch of OWB holsters, some I'll never use so I give them to people that can use them. I might list some of them on E-Bay.

For me pocket carrying the 642 is the most comfortable carry for what I do durring the day.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
First off you and only you have to determine what's comfortable for YOU ! Now I sit a lot because of my condition so I use a MCOY crossdraw holster ( I like leather I'm sorry when I grew up that's all there ever was so I'm partial to a finely crafted leather holster ) I carry a ruger SP 101 in that holster. It carries well , easy to draw , and it looks very nice ( the leather work is impeccable ) plus you now have to acquire a sturdy belt because a regular belt will fall part in a hurry under the extra weight of a gun . Try different holsters from your friends because without experimentation you will never know just what you really want !

·
Registered
52 Posts
. . . My main carry gun I carry every day isa S&W 642 Airweight 38 + P in a pocket holster in my front pocket. . . .
For me pocket carrying the 642 is the most comfortable carry for what I do durring the day.
Exactly what I do. I use a Mika pocket holster. I forget I have it with me. I even carry it this way with dress pants, shirt and tie.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A quality leather pancake otw (Andrews) keeps my ruger sp101 tight to me and out of sight under an untucked button up.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
S&W 686+ and I use a leather OWB paddle holster made by Alessi. Very comfortable.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Anybody that seriously carries has a box of used holsters. Until you wear it for a while there is just no way to know what will work best for you. My methods I have used to carry my j frame include shoulder owb iwb pocket and ankle - while consistency in carry and technique is a good thing sometimes based on wardrobe activity weather you may have to have more than one option. To stretch it out a bit that is why almost no one I know who carries all the time or close to it has only a single carry gun. Over time it becomes obvious the best carry choice while wearing shorts sandals and a t sh. irt in a low risk area is not the same as that you would wear in cooler weather under a jacket in a high crime area. Depending on all these factors I go from my smallest gun ( seecamp 32 in a pocket holster) through glock 26,19,j,k,1911 depending on the situation, sometimes carrying more than one
I have agree with this. My closet and attic are full of holsters that I tried. Different guns = different comfortable carry methods. Figure out what is comfortable. Give each method a few days atleast for the holster or you body to break in and get used to the feel before deciding). After you decide train with your method until it becomes muscle memory. Nothing makes you nervous/embarrassed then to use a new carry method, have to draw your gun and your hand doesn't find it because your muscle memory went to draw from OWB when the gun is on an ankle holster. I have carried in less comfortable methods as not to confuse the "muscle memory"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.