New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think if nys is going to insist on maintaining an assault weapons ban, then it should be rewritten by someone who has actually handled a gun.
Assault weapon classification.

For a weapon to be classified as an "assault weapon"
1. Must not be recognized as a dedicated weapon of
Another class as defined by federal law. Ie, machine gun,
sub machine gun, sniper rifle, rifle, pistol, machine pistol

2. Has a barrel length of less than 16" but more than 8"
3. Is equipped with a select fire switch.(contains more options
than safe and fire)
4. Fires designated rifle rounds ( magazine is at least 2.5" in width measured back to front)
5. Recognizes that a collapsible/folding stock and a flash suppressor/removable brake does not magically classify it as an assault weapon.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Two reasons I can think of not to help them:

1) Their ridiculousness will be easier to overturn in court if they include all of their stupidities

2) (and this one is the most important) - to quote Gunny Highway, "Don't give the pricks the satisfaction"

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Also wouldn't a rifle with a barrel under 16 inches already be federally classified as a sbr, and more opions than safe and fire is a machinge gun right?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
A 14.5" and 14.7" bbl are commonly available and as long as a muzzle device is permanantly affixed that brings it up to the 16" length its fine.
Just make sure that its all welded up before any consideration toward assembling it to a receiver of any type.
Go the other way around and you've just created an sbr.

You 'can' do it with shorter barrels too, but the shorter the barrel desired, the progressively more difficult to convince a retailer that you're going to weld on X more inches to make it legal rifle length.

Of course you can throw money at them to do the work for you prior to shipping if that satisfies thier demand of proof, otherwise you'll have to come up with sbr paperwork.

AFA the original topic?
One global change right off the bat: Legal supressors (said the guy who wears hearing aids)

Nit picky ****?
1) No belt feds over .50 caliber allowed in the wild unless there's a sign off by CLEO saying they are aware you have one (current FFLs would still be able to do what they do in a completely unaffected way)
CLEO cannot restrict or deny possesion, the sign off is merely confirmation of the curtesy you extended by letting them know there was a +.50 caliber belt fed around the area. A CLEO refusing to sign off does not prevent a person from possessing such, and they must create, hold, and file in thier records a letter stating why they refused.

2) the term 'EBR' shall henceforth be used in reference to the evil black rides the rich cruise around in the back of, not firearms.

3) no one shall count bbs and rimfire ammunition while engaging in media scare tactics. A 2000 count box of pellets and 4 bricks of 22 shorts does not a 'massive stockpile of ammunition' make

4) all other cartridges and munitions will not be mentioned in same media scare tactics. Having 10 1k cases of ammo is no different than having 6 cars or 9 phones. Redundant perhaps, but not illegal.

5) an 'arsenal' shall hearby mean just that: a secure facility that stores hundreds to thousands of weapons of all types and sizes.
Uncle Bill's 3 shotguns, 2 rifles and a pistol in the locked closet is not an arsenal. It is a closet with a few guns in it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also wouldn't a rifle with a barrel under 16 inches already be federally classified as a sbr, and more opions than safe and fire is a machinge gun right?
I thought it had to fire so many rounds per minute to be classified as a machine gun and or be belt fed. Hence the differentiation between machine gun sub machine gun and assault rifle. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

1) Their ridiculousness will be easier to overturn in court if they include all of their stupidities

2) (and this one is the most important) - to quote Gunny Highway, "Don't give the pricks the satisfaction"
If the awb is so easily overturned in court, why hasn't been yet?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I thought it had to fire so many rounds per minute to be classified as a machine gun and or be belt fed. Hence the differentiation between machine gun sub machine gun and assault rifle. I could be wrong though.
Nope. Machine gun means one trigger pull fires more than one round.
oh and a sub machine is called that because it fires a pistol round.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Not rpm, but the ability to fire multiple rounds with one pull of the trigger.
A cyclic rate of 3rpm can be considered a MG if it can be done via a single trigger pull.

(Heavy) MG, LMG, SMG are differentiated more along the lines of caliber/type of cartridge used rather than feed system.
MG is around 50 cal/12.7mm and up, LMG is in standard rifle size cartridges (7.62mm, .308, 5.56, etc) while SMGs are geared around pistol cartridges like 9mm and 45acp.

Being crew served or individually operated has some bearing too, but isn't a deal breaker.

The real breakover point is when there's a transition from HMG to Automatic Cannon

*edit*
damn, slow again..

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I would just like this line in any future gun bans, "Any Small Arms weapon deemed not apropriate for the general public to own shall not be appropriate for the government ( No exemptions for Federal, State, Local, and Military/Law Enforcement) and/or its agents to own, possess or use."

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I would just like this line in any future gun bans, "Any Small Arms weapon deemed not apropriate for the general public to own shall not be appropriate for the government ( No exemptions for Federal, State, Local, and Military/Law Enforcement) and/or its agents to own, possess or use."
That's funny right there. Both in being a decent proposal, but how absurd to think that would never pass in today's age. xD

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Egg-zachly.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
should add ammunition feeding devices to that language too.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts

I love # 2, I tell it to my son all of the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts