New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
There is no provision for retired LEOs in these laws to carry in previously un-restricted areas.
Many out of State Retired LEO’s traveling to different states have experienced the aggravation of entering a private business that prohibits concealed firearms.
With this new law going in effect 9/1/22. I would expect more contact with police as individuals who are in a private business get in a jam because of the sign requirements for allowing concealed firearms.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There is no provision for retired LEOs in these laws to carry in previously un-restricted areas.
Not really sure what you mean here? If you are retired POLICE, not retired police with only a permit you are good ( exempt ) under the new, NYS law.

If you’re a retired Peace Officer with just a permit, then yes, you were left off. However, if you are either a police or peace officer and are LEOSA QUALIFIED, then I do believe you are covered (exempt) for “sensitive” locations.
I’m not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV, I’ve read the statue several times and used to teach LEOSA for my agency.

·
Registered
856 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
From an email sent out:

No Off-Duty Carry at New York State Fair
The State Fair will be using a new high tech weapon detection system at all gates this year. With that being said, privates citizens will not be allowed to carry on the Fairgrounds even if they have a valid pistol permit license. Police officers that are “On-duty” will be permitted to carry, however, the State Dept of Ag and Markets has elected to NOT allow “Off-duty” police and peace officers to carry department or personally owned firearms on the property.

LE officers attending the Law Enforcement Day Ceremonies on Monday Aug 29th in an “On-duty” capacity will be permitted.

This is not a State Police policy, however, we will we be getting called to the gates whenever a firearm is detected.

Thank you for sharing as I wanted everyone to know beforehand.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not really sure what you mean here? If you are retired POLICE, not retired police with only a permit you are good ( exempt ) under the new, NYS law.

If you’re a retired Peace Officer with just a permit, then yes, you were left off. However, if you are either a police or peace officer and are LEOSA QUALIFIED, then I do believe you are covered (exempt) for “sensitive” locations.
I’m not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV, I’ve read the statue several times and used to teach LEOSA for my agency.
You are correct sir. Page 18 of the "Holiday Bill" paragragh 3 : This section (sensitive locations) shall not apply to:
(a) consistent with federal law, law enfordement who qualify to carry under the federal law enforcement safety act, 18 U.S.C. 926C;...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts