New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i live in chenango county and just got my permit a week ago and now have a couple pistols and my permit is "restricted" now my question is how and where can i carry? i have been told you can carry as long as it isnt consealed and as long as your not being stupid like carrieing into banks and what not.

· Registered
442 Posts
ok i live in chenango county and just got my permit a week ago and now have a couple pistols and my permit is "restricted" now my question is how and where can i carry? i have been told you can carry as long as it isnt consealed and as long as your not being stupid like carrieing into banks and what not.
Congrats on getting your pistol license. I would be careful with carrying with restrictions. A target and hunting restriction is the only time you may carry. It's not a crime if you are caught carrying out of restrictions, however, expect to have your license suspended. Carry your weapon concealed. Wait at least a year to apply for an upgrade. Take as many courses in handgun. The judge would remove the restrictions when he sees you have taken the steps.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Talk to your county and see what they say "Target and Hunting" means. Sometimes it means more than just T&H. That is for the administrative restrictions. Keep in mind though that the restrictions are not law and if you somehow get "caught" carrying outside of them (keep it concealed is what people were referring to in respect to this.) then you may get in trouble with the judge.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
I am pretty sure you can upgrade to unrestricted in Chenengo County, but it requires a concealed carry course first. You may also need a letter with a good reason to get an upgrade.

Cortland county makes it as painless as possible, they issue unrestricted regardless.

As far as actually carrying, I open carry when hunting or at the range, just incase a warden stops me, but always conceal any other time. Open carry is not allowed in NY as far as I know.

In the woods hunting though I would argue the point that you can't take game if your gun is tucked under your jacket.

· Registered
1,194 Posts
Was told by a Law Enforcement officer(State Trooper) that there is a hunting season almost year round and if you have some targets in your vehicle it would be very difficult for them to prove you were not on your way to or returning from hunting or target shooting.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Was told by a Law Enforcement officer(State Trooper) that there is a hunting season almost year round and if you have some targets in your vehicle it would be very difficult for them to prove you were not on your way to or returning from hunting or target shooting.
There is a range in Binghamton I think that has 24 hour access, if you become a member you get a swipe card. Get pulled over and the most it will cost you is a trip to range if the officer feels like following you.

Still though, it won't help you much if you are 10 counties over at a fair or something.

· Registered
1,194 Posts
Put 3 handguns on me permit 3 different times and included a letter each time stating circumstances had changed since I got my permit, Had a gun shop, work alone out in the country after dark and wanted an unrestricted permit. It took almost 3 yrs. and the listed reasons to get the "Limeted to Hunting & Target shooting removed.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Still though, it won't help you much if you are 10 counties over at a fair or something.
Your restrictions don't even technically apply outside of your county. They are slapped on there administratively by a judge in your county.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
You are incorrect sir.. The issuing judge most certainly will enforce what ever admin restrictions he has applied, regardless of where you are.
Except he does not have such authority, much in the same way he doesn't have the authority to even PUT them on there.

· Registered
199 Posts
Plain and simple.....Don't carry, just get your restrictions removed. It is easy. Take the upgrade class from Rochester Personal Defense at the Greene rod and gun club. You only need to submit the course certificate to the county clerk, no letter, no need to make up some stupid reason. I received my unrestricted permit about a week after I turned in my certificate.

Get it done ASAP before the new judge takes over.

· Registered
199 Posts
Forgot to add that there is no minimum amount of time you need to wait before upgrading. As soon as you take the class Sullivan will remove the restrictions. Chenango county is a cake walk compared to most in nys.

· Registered
4,733 Posts
firemanbud:

We have the course that will get you the full carry and we will tell you everything you need to know about when, where, and how to carry - not to mention how to write the letter too!

PM me for details or hit my website. Look for the Unrestricted Carry Permit Training in the class catalog.

Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.