New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a co-op. Our complex consists of several buildings and some common areas. As a shareholder I have use of the common areas, subject to house rules, and access to all other buildings for laundry and storage. I don't technically own any real property, just shares in the cooperative. I'm wondering if I'd be considered carrying outside of restrictions if I carried while doing laundry, going to my storage unit or relaxing in our courtyard. Everything is on private property and open only to shareholders. We've had some thefts on property and I recently had to call the cops on some slob trying to breaking into cars in our parking lot. I doubt a neighbor would notice since I have run into them countless times loading my car for a trip to Blue Mountain and no one has ever said boo. Just curious what you guys think.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
What is the address on your Permit and what address do you live at? I would say as long as they are the same you are GTG. Also Concealed is Concealed.

Full Disclosure: I am not a lawyer nor to I play one on TV.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Concealed is concealed. I would not recommend any holster that the firearm will be exposed. Regardless of legality it will increase possibility of an unnecessary conflict with a neighbor or LEO.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is my residence and the address on my permit will match the property address. There's no chance of LEO coming on the property unless someone needs them. Legally, I don't own the apartment I live in either. I have a proprietary lease which entitles me to live there. In short, I own no real property, but have full use of the buildings and grounds. I think I kind of answered my own question - I should be fine. If I had a premises permit in NYC that would be a different matter I suppose.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
You should look at your shareholder rules I would bet they have one about no weapons especially in White Plains. It's going to be right next to the rule a out no free range chickens in the common areas.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We don't have a house rule for no weapons. We have all the typical stuff about hanging signs, making loud noise, leaving garbage on the property, etc. We're 100 % owner occupied so we really don't have any issues with that kind of stuff. There are a few odd balls here, but probably no more than the general population of White Plains. Ha.

You should look at your shareholder rules I would bet they have one about no weapons especially in White Plains. It's going to be right next to the rule a out no free range chickens in the common areas.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The unasked question here is: What happens in the event I have an interaction with the police, or if I shoot someone?

The other unasked question (which has already been answered) is: What rules do my co operative have for carrying weapons in common areas?

LHT.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I hope your next post is not "neighbor called the police because they saw me walking around with a holstered gun and now I have to meet with the judge"

all I'm saying is why risk it? Carry concealed and you will have zero problems and still be able to protect yourself.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
If it is your residence I would say you are good to go. If I carry a gun while doing laundry in my home, why can't you?

One of the problems that we as NY's have is there is no place or no person that we can get definate answers to some of these questions. We may get answers, but god only knows if they are correct.

·
Registered
335 Posts
That story is insane. As far as I know they have no legal ability to enter your house if you tell them they are not welcome.

There was actually a huge case recently in Indiana which concluded that if police force entry into your house you can legally use any reasonable force needed to stop the threat.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TMP, I intend to carry concealed. I didn't mean that I was looking to open carry.

I hope your next post is not "neighbor called the police because they saw me walking around with a holstered gun and now I have to meet with the judge"

all I'm saying is why risk it? Carry concealed and you will have zero problems and still be able to protect yourself.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Your restrictions are administrative anyway. You could conceal carry downtown for groceries if you wanted. Concealed means concealed, so nobody knows anyway. If you ever need to draw, better to be alive then dead, judges wishes be damned.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm really more concerned with getting some practice carrying again and feeling comfortable that I'm within my rights to do so while on property owned by the cooperative of which I am a shareholder. It's a bit convoluted I know. I'll work up to it. I'm not going to carry anywhere, even to the range, until I'm my skills are up to par. Sadly, they're not now. It's been 10 years since I owned a pistol.

The unasked question here is: What happens in the event I have an interaction with the police, or if I shoot someone?

The other unasked question (which has already been answered) is: What rules do my co operative have for carrying weapons in common areas?

LHT.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm really more concerned with getting some practice carrying again and feeling comfortable that I'm within my rights to do so while on property owned by the cooperative of which I am a shareholder. It's a bit convoluted I know. I'll work up to it. I'm not going to carry anywhere, even to the range, until I'm my skills are up to par. Sadly, they're not now. It's been 10 years since I owned a pistol.
I know where you're coming from with this. Once a year I travel upstate with friends and family for a hunting trip. Unless I happen to go to the range frequently the month before I always feel this stupid awkwardness carrying all the way up to the range and hunting property, and need to remind myself I am in the right. I know I am in the right in doing this 100%, but our state makes you feel like such a criminal to even apply for the permit and so wary of all these ridiculous restrictions and rules that because I can't decide to carry at my own will at home thanks to restrictions "unless traveling to and from the range/hunting" it takes a little warming up to again.

By the end of the trip I get more frustrated coming home and realizing my pistol has to sit in the safe again until my next range trip. Then spend the next few hours considering moving upstate! haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts