New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is a complete oxymoron. Just because you say it with a smiling face doesn't make it true. If the gas industry wants to show that it is responsible they can start by rescinding their exemption from things like the clean water act, clean air act, etc. In 2005, the federal government as part of the 2005 Energy Act exempted much of the gas industry and its sub-components from over a dozen environmental regulations. I don't get how movies like Gasland can show a clear pattern of abuse and environmental pollution over the last 50 years and yet the politicians and environmental officials can continue to say that this industry is not dangerous.

If you haven't seen Gasland, I'd strong encourage you to watch it and show it to as many people as you can.

G

·
I attended a pistol class this spring south of Cooperstown, NY. The gun club was using bottled water because the gas drilling had contaminated the ground water there. This is far too close to home for me.

· Registered
1,668 Posts
Fracking... I was watching something on the negative effects of it and it's crazy-scary. There were definitely people who could turn their garden hose into a flame thrower. I definitely feel bad for the people who had no choice but to see their water supplies contaminated.

· Registered
824 Posts
Do the gas companies do anything about your water supply once it becomes contaminated ?
Seems to me if that is your potable water they should be responsible to make it right. But then they probably would find some loophole or something and get out of it.

· Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have a gas well on our property and 12 within a mile and have 0 water problems thank god, scary stuff when the water is effected.
I'm assuming this was a conventionally drilled well.

How often do you test your water for things like heavy metals, dissolved gases, etc?

· Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do the gas companies do anything about your water supply once it becomes contaminated ?
Seems to me if that is your potable water they should be responsible to make it right. But then they probably would find some loophole or something and get out of it.
They are exempt from the clean water act (among over 12 others). The typical response seems to be:

1. Deny that they caused any issues
  2. Force the homeowners to prove that the water has been affected
  3. Force the homeowners to prove the drilling caused the problem
  4. Deny again and make you go to court
  5. Buy you off and then start delivering water to you...for the rest of your life.
Of course by that point your property value has gone to zero, your health is usually messed up as many of these chemicals are neurotoxins and have a cumulative and permanent effect so you end up with no home and no health.

· Head of Bacon Operations
3,679 Posts
I just went to add Gasland to my netflix queue but it isn't available yet, no future date listed. Where can I see it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.