New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other thread discussing a gun mount below the steering column got me wondering the following, but I didn't want to drift that thread.

If someone has to leave their CC handgun in their car (say you're entering a building such as the post office where it is not allowed), what, if any legal requirements apply for securing the weapon? Is locking it in the glove compartment insuficient under the law? Beyond what the law might require, are there any established "should have"'s that weren't followed by others when leaving their CCW in their car that caused the issuing judge to pull their permit?

Is there any method of storing your weapon in your car that will permit you to travel with your vehicle into an area where carrying isn't permitted (e.g., school campus, state park) without being in violation of the law? Basically, is there a way to lock up/secure/strip your weapon and leave it in the car so you are not deemed to be carrying in a prohibited area.

Thanks in advance.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I dont think there is any legal requirement for how to store your firearm in your vehicle. Some judges have rules for how they want you to do it.
I think even something like this locked around underside of seat would suffice for all the judges Amazon.com: GunVault NV300 NanoVault with Combination Lock: Home Improvement

As far as storing it in a way where you wouldnt be in violation of prohibited areas then the only way I could think of is to have it unloaded with pistol and ammo in separate locked containers in trunk. BUT you could not stop at any prohibited place and could only drive though. You would basically be using the federal law that says if you start in one state where your legal and go to another where your legal if everything is locked up properly your ok to go through a state where you cant have it as long as you dont stop.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Agree with above post. I drive a pickup and keep a small Pelican case with a cable locked around the seat frame. It fits perfectly between rear door and seat in such a way that you can't see it without opening the rear door. Not theft proof but it would take some effort to steal the gun.

No CCW in Post office? That's news to me, lol. Are you sure about that?

As far as I understand it you cannot bring a gun onto school property (unless LEO) even if its field stripped and locked up. Not sure about state parks, etc.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Post offices are off limits due to a Federal Law. Don't bring a gun there.

Although there may not be a law, it is your responsibility to secure the firearm 'in every reasonable way' when it is not under your direct control. leaving it hidden in the console or glove box is not. Get a small lock box or vault and either cable it to the car or bolt it in.

You do not want to be 'that guy' the got his car AND his gun stolen.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I dont think there is any legal requirement for how to store your firearm in your vehicle. Some judges have rules for how they want you to do it.
This.

Above all you have a moral responsibility to make sure your gun is secure. How you achieve that is up to you. A lock box with a cable to a seat rail is always an option.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Post offices are off limits due to a Federal Law. Don't bring a gun there.

Although there may not be a law, it is your responsibility to secure the firearm 'in every reasonable way' when it is not under your direct control. leaving it hidden in the console or glove box is not. Get a small lock box or vault and either cable it to the car or bolt it in.

You do not want to be 'that guy' the got his car AND his gun stolen.
Yes, I wouldn't throw it into an unlocked arm rest, but what I'm thinking needs to be protected against is a smash and grab, which a locked glovebox might be sufficient. If they steal my car, no practical lockbox, no matter how stout or secured is going to keep them from getting the gun. A few minutes with the right tools and I think they'll have that lockbox pried open.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
If they steal your car, yeah, guess what, the gun goes with it no matter how securely you store it. Use reasonable efforts to park in a reasonably secure area; don't keep your gun in the car when it doesn't have to be there and when it does use reasonable efforts to make sure the gun is concealed and secure as possible. This is sound advice whether the gun is in the car or not.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I actually looked into it as well and its a grey area. You are allowed to carry inside if you are on official business. Some think official business means going in there to mail something and not just hang out. But again its a grey area unless official business is defined somewhere but I didnt look to hard.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Leaving a gun in any of my vehicles is a rarity but when I do, I break the gun down and take out the slide and leave the frame. If you cannot bring the slide with you because of the part being to big, hide the part in another location in your vehicle. If you have a revolver then hide it the best you can.

James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts