New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the threads I've read I see they do a NICS check, Mental health check and a local criminal check. I guess my question is... Is that all a background check involves? would'nt any criminal offences on a local level show up on the NICS check. Also does the background check also vary by county?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Well they run fingerprints and do the checks associated with that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I can see the point of the fingerprint check but according to the FBI website the NICS check looks at criminal history,domestic violence,mental health and substance abuse. So anything beyond the NICS, Fingerprints and reference checks just seems like a waste of time and money.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Your background check is done by NYS DOCJS. They run your info state wide to see what they find and report back to your local police department. They also have NYS mental health look to see if you have any mental health record. I think they do this in case something was not reported to NICS. So lets say you voluntarily go see someone about depression or other issues, they may not be reported to NICS.
So something in your background that may not prevent you from owning a firearm may in a judges discretion bar you from getting a pistol permit. Plus NYS gets more money from you.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Fingerprints and reference checks just seems like a waste of time and money.
Replace "Fingerprints and references" with "The whole NYS pistol permit process" and you win.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts