New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about replacement sights for my Glock. It's wearing the stock sights now and while I like them, they tend to get lost in darkening conditions. They are all but invisible at night.
I've almost ruled out fiber optic sights since they rely on a light source to function. I don't know how well they would work in a darkened home. Had night sights on my duty Glock and liked them a lot. So do I go with fiber optics (a bit easier on the wallet) or go the full gambit and go for the night sights?

·
Registered
132 Posts
There is another argument that i have heard that while fiber optic sights are useless at night, that night sights dont help all that much in the daylight. Does anyone have an opinion on hybrid fiber optic/night sights? Id be curious as well as i have two glock 19s that still have stock sights on them as well. I could never pull the trigger on a decision of what to replace them with.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
im a fan of fo sights (taran tactical ultimate glock sights to be exact). reason is that if im ever in a dark scenario i will not be shooting without an alternate light source so as to properly identify my target. the benefit of the fiber during failing light, and sunlight far outweighs the benefit of sights that "glow" in the dark for me personally.

·
Registered
132 Posts
im a fan of fo sights (taran tactical ultimate glock sights to be exact). reason is that if im ever in a dark scenario i will not be shooting without an alternate light source so as to properly identify my target. the benefit of the fiber during failing light, and sunlight far outweighs the benefit of sights that "glow" in the dark for me personally.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. I never could wrap my mind around shooting at something that you are unsure of in the dark. Basic fundamental shooters are taught is know your target and whats beyond it. If i do swap sights i will probably go with warren tactical fiber optic sights. If someone broke into my house at night i would reach for a shotgun with a flashlight on it before my glock 19 anyways.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't plan on shooting anything I can't see clearly. Maybe I can re ask the question? What works better in darkened conditions, F O or glowing night sights?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... If someone broke into my house at night i would reach for a shotgun with a flashlight on it before my glock 19 anyways.
Can I read that to be: You'd rather make lots of holes, then smaller holes with a hand gun?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I run trijicons. My g23 wears trijicon HDs. I love those sights. My sig 1911 scorpion wears the sig night sights which seem really really good. Personally I love night sights.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get a good flashlight with a high lumen rating and learn to use it.
I have a flash light mount that I use on the bottom of my glock, bright blinding light. But it doesn't do much for the sight picture, I'd like the sights to stand out a bit more.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Can I read that to be: You'd rather make lots of holes, then smaller holes with a hand gun?
I plan on stopping the assailant as quickly as possible, damage to my home is fixable. I would only shoot if I knew what I was shooting at. Are you implying that a shotgun is not practical for HD? I know many out there employ one.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I plan on stopping the assailant as quickly as possible, damage to my home is fixable. I would only shoot if I knew what I was shooting at. Are you implying that a shotgun is not practical for HD? I know many out there employ one.
Points well made. Just doesn't help with my sight question is all. Got a shot gun at the ready, not worried about the plaster and lath if I can live another day to repair it!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I like Trijicon. I've used their Tough 'n Brites and been very happy, they seem to be a bit easier to see during the daytime than Meprolights. I also had a bad experience with quality control on Meprolights. If I was buying sights today I'd get Trijicon HDs.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a set of the night sights from dead ringer installed recently and I love them. They have helped with my accuracy in daytime and they pop in low light or darkness. Company HQ is right in Rochester. Snake Eyes « Deadringer Hunting
They look interesting. Does the rear ring holster well? Do you have to send them the slide or is it a do it yourself install?

·
Registered
132 Posts
They look interesting. Does the rear ring holster well? Do you have to send them the slide or is it a do it yourself install?
Says on their website to have an experienced gunsmith install them to avoid damage to the slide or the sights. So i assume its a diy/gunsmith type deal

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
They recommend having a pro install them. However, I went to their HQ to buy them and one of the owners installed them himself right there. It didn't look too hard if you had the right tool. The owner, Christian, was beyond friendly and helpful. None of the authorized dealers in Rochester had them in stock so I called them directly since they were in town. He told me to stop by one morning and he would help me out. You really should check them out. I took all of their products into a pitch black room and they all "popped" and were very clear. Right now I believe they make sights primarily for glocks but he said other designs are under development. They holster just fine. I have a leather OWB holster from Alessi (in Buffalo) and there is no problem. In fact, I found out about the sights when I went to pick up my holster and one of the employees had a set on his own glock. You can get them online via Cabela's (maybe the new store in Buffalo might have them in stock). I really don't know why these are not better known. I think they are great daytime/nightime sights. As soon as they come out with sights for a Colt .45 I am getting a set.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
159 Posts
Glock will install their factory oem night sights (Meprolight) for $57.
All you have to do is ship them your slide, a check and this form.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=UUBtRqFSHLZkkw2kgMFQ5Q&bvm=bv.72197243,d.aWw
That includes return shipping. They do not collect tax from New York residents.
A rail mounted flashlight vs. a hand held flashlight is a whole other debate.
A rail mounted flashlight is fine in a tactical situation but
not so good in your house when you live with other people.
C.B.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A rail mounted flashlight vs. a hand held flashlight is a whole other debate. A rail mounted flashlight is fine in a tactical situation but not so good in your house when you live with other people. C.B.
I can see both sides of the flashlight issue. For one I don't like the added weight of the rail mount. The flashlight becomes the target, either because it lights up the bad guys position or it's just plain blinding them. I have a few 'Mag' lights close at hand should I need one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts