New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
If you read the actual study here

http://nssf.org/share/PDF/CA-Alternative-Ammo-Impacts_9-15-2014.pdf

It seems the study is conflating total CA ammunition consumption with CA lead free ammo consumption.

Look at page 9.

Total alternative rimfire sales in CA $14,546
Total traditional rimfire sales in CA $2,050,709
Total alternative rimfire sales in 50 states $604,480
"Alternative rimfire production in the US would need to increase by 432% to fully replace traditional rimfire use by CA hunters"

That's assuming all rimfire rounds in CA are used in hunting. This is clearly not the case. The same goes with the other calibers in the "study"

CA's ban is on hunting only. Lead ammo is good to go for everything else. How many rounds do you use hunting a year? For most shooters a lot less than used not hunting.

I call BS on this one.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Here is what grinds my gears, if these a-holes really wanted to make the environment safer, look at our food supply, how about the carcinogens in our pesticides, pesticides that cannot be washed off an apple skin with a power washer---yeah that is good for school lunches,,,,,,,,,,I could go on, and on, but I will just stop here.

It is just more gun biggetry, those pig f**kers just hate us, our hobby, and more sinister-they hate our Constitutional rights,,,, 'oh yeah and it is great for fundraising.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I doubt the ammo makers will respond to this unless there is money in it for them. They have not increased production during the latest 3 year ammo shortage, why should they change production to non-lead projectiles unless they can make money.

Raising prices BIG would do it, maybe.

I can remember the first federal lead shot ban on waterfowl about 25 years ago. Makers were scrambling to find alternatives. Early on, nothing really replaced lead and the huge heavy 10 gauge shotguns guns became a temporary rage with steel shot. It did not work very well, as I recall.

As the gun-grabbers tighten the noose, I fully expect a complete ban on ALL lead projectiles within a couple of years. The federal government - EPA has closed the last lead mining/smelter in the USA last year. This was ABSOLUTELY aimed at gun owners and not anything related to saving the earth. Pure BS!

·
Registered
644 Posts
The federal government - EPA has closed the last lead mining/smelter in the USA last year. This was ABSOLUTELY aimed at gun owners and not anything related to saving the earth. Pure BS!
Or not.

MILLER: Obama's EPA closing smelter will not affect ammunition supply - Washington Times

""Manufacturers use recycled lead to make ammunition. They don't buy from smelters," Mr. Keane told me Monday. "The EPA closing, which has been in the works for a while, will have no impact on production, supply or cost to the consumers.""

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
It would be interesting to find out if Barnes somehow funded/supported lead free hunting ammunition legislation. (Kind of like how Ruger supported the '94 AWB) They have a near monopoly on solid copper bullets.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
It would be interesting to find out if Barnes somehow funded/supported lead free hunting ammunition legislation. (Kind of like how Ruger supported the '94 AWB) They have a near monopoly on solid copper bullets.
Their plant that makes bullets is in Utah and it's very costly to make copper bullets ! Barnes got bought up by ATK industries ( the same folks own Lake city who makes government ammo in both Nevada and Missouri , the also own CCI and federal ammo ) the alternative ammo sales is depressed because of the price and since they have brought out tungsten waterfowl ammo the price is even going higher ( they have figured out how to make waterfowl ammo really good now ) the only thing that saves us is if you don't hunt near water , you still can use lead shot on geese or ducks . It's in the fed regs .

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Their already is a shortage and price increase on ammo

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
How I know you didn't read the article: "8mm demand in California will exceed the entire production of U.S. alternative 8mm rounds by 1,094 percent" Who uses 8mm?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
How I know you didn't read the article: "8mm demand in California will exceed the entire production of U.S. alternative 8mm rounds by 1,094 percent" Who uses 8mm?
Semi-only beltfeds like the M53, Mg42s, Mg34's, then the Hakims, G/K43, G41, and Mausers, many, many Mausers, I gather if they can build a Cali-legal M53/Mg42 clone you can rip through quite a few rounds in semi on those, add a large population of citizens, maybe that is it,,,,good question though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.