New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. First time posting to the site. I am currently trying to get my pistol permit in Rensselaer County. I have taken an approved safe handling course and have all paperwork/leg work ready to go. I am awaiting a return phonecall from the sheriff to schedule submission of my application and fingerprinting but I've been waiting 5 weeks for this call. Understandably he's busy, but I don't even have a time line and some time sensitive stuff is going to expire soon. Anyone have any ideas of current time lines or gone through this within the last few weeks? I

·
Registered
340 Posts
There are some personnel changes going on over there, hopefully going to be resolved soon. I would keep calling weekly.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
What the hell is with Rensselaer county recently? First Joyce and now the Sheriffs? This is really frustrating to hear. Taking my safety course at the end of this month. Kicking my self for not doing this years ago.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Doesn't sound good... I know last year when I was going through the process, the -appointment- for the fingerprinting was booking several weeks out, but the Sgt who was doing the work (Sgt Smith, I think?) had been very good at returning calls in a timely manner. Overall, I was -very- impressed with how the process went last year.

I hope Rensselaer isnt getting overwhelmed again...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Sheriff returned my phone call, exactly 5 weeks after I initially called. He was very nice and apologetic and they are extremely overwhelmed again. He said that there are over 500 people ahead of me and my appt is scheduled for June 21st. Long time out and he said they are not making any efforts to fit others in with cancellation. It does feel better that I at least have an appointment on the calendar.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Call the sheriff now before you take the course. You have 6 months from the date of the course to submit your application and with booking so far out as they are now, I will just make it before my course certificate would expire. I never imagined they would be so far out right now. I have a friend in schenectady county who will more than likely have his permit from course to actual permit in just over 8 weeks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Good to know, thank you for the heads up. I'll be calling tomorrow. Glad you finally heard back and at least have a date. Here's to things speeding up!!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Three weeks and no call back. I know the OP waited five but anyone else out there have some experience/input on this? All I'll get if I call again is the same recording, so it seems a little pointless to keep calling. However, with no guarantee that "all calls will be returned" or that by calling and leaving your name and number, your place in line is secured, it gets a little unnerving while everything else in the process moves forward.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Corgi, did you receive any call confirming that you were added to the list? The very first day I left a message, I received a phone call from the sheriff's office at like 8:30 pm just saying that they received my message and my name was placed on the list. Waiting is the worst part and is only slightly better with a date to look forward to. At the current pace, I'm thinking I'll be lucky to have a permit in hand by december.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ken75ranger, coincidentally I had talked to a friend from high school who works at the sheriffs office the Sunday before they finally called. Not sure if he had anything to do with it or not. Either way, it can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Corgi, did you receive any call confirming that you were added to the list? The very first day I left a message, I received a phone call from the sheriff's office at like 8:30 pm just saying that they received my message and my name was placed on the list. Waiting is the worst part and is only slightly better with a date to look forward to. At the current pace, I'm thinking I'll be lucky to have a permit in hand by december.
Nope no call to confirm that I was added. I just called again and left my name and number and mentioned I had called three weeks ago and never received confirmation they had my info and I was in line. So I asked for a call back to confirm. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The other thing I'm confused on is references. They didn't give out any reference sheets with the application at the permit office. There is a sheet in the packet I got at the safety course but Im not sure that sheet is for rensselaer county. Are we given paperwork to give our references at the time we get finger printed or are they supposed to mail something to our references?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They're supposed to mail the forms to your references after your submission/printing appointment. I've heard that in the past, when they are busy like they are right now, they will give you the four forms at that submission/printing appointment. I'm hoping that's the case as it leaves alot of time and room for error for your references to receive the forms in the mail, fill them out correctly, get them notarized, and mail them back...

·
Registered
199 Posts
They're supposed to mail the forms to your references after your submission/printing appointment. I've heard that in the past, when they are busy like they are right now, they will give you the four forms at that submission/printing appointment. I'm hoping that's the case as it leaves alot of time and room for error for your references to receive the forms in the mail, fill them out correctly, get them notarized, and mail them back...
I was given my reference forms when I was fingerprinted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Motorcop43, out of curiosity, when did you go through the process? I am constantly searching for people who have done it, in an effort to better understand it and learn the do's and dont's.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts