New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to petition my Judge to remove my restriction - this is a draft of my letter and I am looking for constructive criticism.
-----------
Dear Honorable XXXX :

On XXXXX, I was issued a Pistol Permit, number XXXXXX, granted by you. I am writing you today requesting your Honor to review my file. I am hoping to have the “Target Shooting” restriction reviewed and removed from my permit.

Since the date of issuance, I have had no contact with any Law Enforcement agency, and I have sustained long-term employment at an architectural firm where I am a partner. I have taken a voluntary advance handgun course (six classes over six weeks) that ended on XXX with XXXXXXX (See the attached certificate). As a result of taking this course, I plan to continue taking the class and I regularly shoot at the range and understand safety first, which I practiced anytime I am around guns.

In my current role as an employer/architect with seven employees, I manage banking deposits (sometimes cash), hire and fire employees, and manage projects throughout New York. In my free time, I am an avid runner and “that guy” running at 6 am with a flashlight. My daily running route is adjacent to Norman Kill Creek, where it is possible to come into contact with dangerous animals, and it would be reassuring to have a weapon to protect myself if the need arises.

I understand there is an increased responsibility with an unrestricted license and feel my gun safety training has prepared me for the continued safe use of my firearm and that deadly force cannot be used in defense of property, cash or belongings of any value.

As mentioned earlier, I plan to take additional classes and live-fire courses and join the NRA to enhance my knowledge. As an upstanding citizen in the community with high moral and ethical character, I am a good candidate for an unrestricted pistol license. I fully understand circumstances will dictate that I not carry concealed such as in those areas prohibited by State or Federal law. I fully understand it is my obligation to be aware and follow the laws. Because of my training and competency and my firm belief that I am of good moral and ethical character, I would like to respectfully request I be considered for unrestricted carry for all lawful purposes in Albany County and NYS.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
good luck , did you donate to his/her re-election ??? Remember that there is a slim chance the judge will ever read your letter. Remember part 2 you have to realize your not as good as the powers to be and the LEOs that protect them.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would probably leave out the part about potentially having to shoot animals. Shorten it up. He doesn't need to know that you run. Beef up the part about making bank deposits and carrying valuable paperwork that may make you a target. Say the magic words that you know and understand Article 35 very well and that you will act in accordance with it.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I'd say leave the fluff in. It makes you a person, not just another form.

Apart from that, change "practiced anytime I am around guns" to the present tense (practice).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Way too much fluff. par it down, my wife did the word fluff thing being a state employee and yada yada,and was summarily rejected. she pared it to a couple sentences about hunting in PA and done deal.
Basically said, Your Honor, please remove my restrictions so I can apply for my PA LTC for hunting and target practice. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
County? It matters.

As others said - read up on Article 35 and understand it. Mention that you have in your letter. Remove this statement as after you read article 35 you'll realize it is incorrect.
"...and that deadly force cannot be used in defense of property, cash or belongings of any value."

I'm not condoning deadly force for personal property protection, or saying you should mention that it is legal....but it is legal to use deadly force to stop a burglary or arson of your home etc. Remove the inaccurate information that the judge already knows, so as not to appear to not know. :)

Fortunately my initial letter worked. I sent the Judge a letter while my permit application was in awaiting approval. My wife and I were granted full carry, non restricted permits. Fulton County. I've carried every day since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Training, training, and more training and bullet list all your training including taking article 35 and including your certificate with your letter. Saying your going to do things probably won't cut the mustard

·
Registered
854 Posts
Begging a judge in order to exercise an enumerated constitutional right. What could possibly go wrong.

🙄

·
Registered
422 Posts
What county do you live in? Remove the protection part. Judges don’t care too much for that. All lawful purposes.

...Ron

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would like to petition my Judge to remove my restriction - this is a draft of my letter and I am looking for constructive criticism.
-----------
Dear Honorable XXXX :

On XXXXX, I was issued a Pistol Permit, number XXXXXX, granted by you. I am writing you today requesting your Honor to review my file. I am hoping to have the “Target Shooting” restriction reviewed and removed from my permit.

Since the date of issuance, I have had no contact with any Law Enforcement agency, and I have sustained long-term employment at an architectural firm where I am a partner. I have taken a voluntary advance handgun course (six classes over six weeks) that ended on XXX with XXXXXXX (See the attached certificate). As a result of taking this course, I plan to continue taking the class and I regularly shoot at the range and understand safety first, which I practiced anytime I am around guns.

In my current role as an employer/architect with seven employees, I manage banking deposits (sometimes cash), hire and fire employees, and manage projects throughout New York. In my free time, I am an avid runner and “that guy” running at 6 am with a flashlight. My daily running route is adjacent to Norman Kill Creek, where it is possible to come into contact with dangerous animals, and it would be reassuring to have a weapon to protect myself if the need arises.

I understand there is an increased responsibility with an unrestricted license and feel my gun safety training has prepared me for the continued safe use of my firearm and that deadly force cannot be used in defense of property, cash or belongings of any value.

As mentioned earlier, I plan to take additional classes and live-fire courses and join the NRA to enhance my knowledge. As an upstanding citizen in the community with high moral and ethical character, I am a good candidate for an unrestricted pistol license. I fully understand circumstances will dictate that I not carry concealed such as in those areas prohibited by State or Federal law. I fully understand it is my obligation to be aware and follow the laws. Because of my training and competency and my firm belief that I am of good moral and ethical character, I would like to respectfully request I be considered for unrestricted carry for all lawful purposes in Albany County and NYS.

Good Afternoon Cabo:

I hope you are doing well. What county are you applying in? Also, what upgrade are you requesting? Business Carry or Full Unrestricted? The Judge always wants clarity on what you seek. Also, if referencing cash, it may be wise to submit bank statements supporting your claim / work hours / any high crime areas you work in, etc.. As others have stated, I would be cautious with the animal statement as this may raise a flag for some Judges. You may also want to mull around in your head what about you is unique that would not apply to the general population. Hope some of our collective thoughts have helped in some way. Feel welcome to reach out if needed.

All the best,

Adam Gonzalez

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you. I deleted the section on running and added past background checks for Federal Agencies. I already sent it in so i can't add anything on Business Carry.

I will see what he says in September....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I received a letter from the Judge yesterday and to my surprise, he granted me congealed carry! No meeting, no phone call, just a new a new card noting "No Restrictions".

·
Registered
422 Posts
Excellent, now get out there and become a nondescript citizen. Walmart is always a good place to start, they are mostly oblivious to anything but their own interests. Most don't even pay attention to their chilrens.

...Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts