New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few guys locally picked up some of the Remington R1's when they had the recent friends and family discount, figured I'd ask here and see if anyone had a chance to shoot one yet? I took mine out to the range this past weekend for the first time. I cleaned the gun prior to use, and it seemed to be pretty dirty (excess oils etc), or at least was pretty dirty compared to my Ruger SR45. Both were brand new guns. I brought a 100rd box of American Eagle ammo. Both guns were cleaned prior to firing. My model is the 1911 enhanced stainless btw, if it matters.

Overall, I liked both. Both were fun to shoot. I was a little more accurate with the Remington, but it's a slightly larger gun and heavier. My little brother really liked the SR and he was definitely more accurate with it than I was (at least I know it's ME and not the gun!).

However, while my brother was shooting the Remington, twice he had a failure to feed. First time, the slide locked back and wouldn't slide the round just sat loose. He just turned the gun over to drop the round and racked the slide and the next round went in no problem. I don't believe it was the last round in the magazine, if memory serves. It happened quick and wasn't really cause for alarm so we kind of just went on shooting. Later, it did it again. Now, my brother was shooting so details are a little fuzzy but I think the slide tried moving the round in and just didn't line up right. The round was partially in the barrel. He pulled the slide and locked it back, I reached in with pliers and just pulled the round out (it wasn't tight) and then just racked the slide again and went on shooting, again. We ended up using both rounds that failed to feed in a later magazine without issue.

After coming to work and talking to someone else here that had bought three of those 1911's, he said he had no issues with the enhanced model he bought, but his bare model 1911 had the same issue mine had, he said his was definitely on the last round of the magazine and only happened once though.

Is there something I can do to alleviate this or is the gun just needing to be "broken in?" I want to say it said 500 rds for break in? Seems excessive. I'll have to double check that number so don't hold me to it. The more we discussed and thought about it, it seems like a magazine issue, especially if it's the last round. However I don't believe both of mine were on the last round but I'll check with my brother again and see if he remembers.

Anyway, we both had a blast shooting some rounds though and overall I like both guns. I'm pleasantly surprised with that SR45 though, for the money.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
He could've limp wristed it. That's a big no no with a 1911. I have a colt commander if you limp wrist it the brass smacks you right in the face. Was the slide locking back on the stop while he was shooting? If it was then he was bumping the slide stop while he was shooting it. Keep track of which magazines are in the gun when it fails. Some 1911 mags suck for whatever reason even brand new regardless of brand. If it didn't fail with you, but failed with him I'd say it was something in his technique. Some 1911s require a break in period (kimber says like 600-800 rounds!) my sig 1911 scorpion has worked 100% right out of the box. They're all different. If it keeps failing no matter what you do. Send it back to Remington make them fix it!

·
Registered
499 Posts
These issues are often magazine related. Make sure you have some decent mags like Wilson or Chip Mcormick. We're you using steel cases budget Russian ammo by any chance?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has only had brass through it. I seriously doubt he was locking the slide by bumping the lock up. It did it on it's own from what I can tell. I intentionally tried limp wristing it a few times to get it to do it again and it still fed just fine. From what I've read around on the web the last few weeks it's not terribly uncommon actually. Problems with a new Remington 1911 R1 - 1911Forum Magazines being used are all the original Remington ones included with the pistol. I have four of them since I bought two pistols. They are all 8 rounders that come with the enhanced 1911's. I will definitely keep track of it going forward. I think Remington calls for 500 rds for break in. Like I said, the two rounds that didn't feed properly went into another magazine and worked just fine after the fact. I'll keep you guys updated as I shoot more and pay more attention to when it happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading more, I'm wondering if it was just the way my brother was loading magazines... perhaps he didn't seat the rounds all the way to the back of the magazine. Hmmm.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I got the r1 stainless(not enhanced). I've shot probably 1000+ rounds through it using the factory mags without a hitch. These are the best factory magazines I've ever seen by the way. You're gonna have to troubleshoot because it sounds like it could be a bunch of things at this point. Limp wristing, magazines, ammo etc. FYI I don't believe that whole "break in" thing to be true. I own 2 1911s that didn't need this "period" and have a bunch of friends that also own several 1911s and they also don't report issues. I'd say magazines would be the biggest thing to cause problems followed by limp wristing and then ammo.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's just it, I intentionally limp wristed it a couple times with enormous muzzle flip and it still fed just fine. I can't say for certain how exactly my brother was gripping or what he was doing during the FTF's, but he did learn to shoot pistols in the Navy, so he's not completely new to it. He was certainly more accurate than I was as well, so I think his form is at least decent. Who knows? I will keep an eye on the mags for sure and keep this updated as I put more brass down range. Hopefully shoot it a little more this coming weekend. Finally picked up a 9mm in the mean time... it's expensive shooting .45 all the time.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Are you using factory mags? The best way to test mags is test differing ones. Preferably mags that are in know working order.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately that's all I have at the moment is the 4 factory Rem mags that came with each of the pistols I bought. I picked up matching enhanced 1911's. One in stainless and one all black. Mags are all 8 rd factory Rem mags. It looks like I'm not the only one this happened to, but until I shoot it all myself and eliminate my brother as a possibility of the FTF, then I just don't know. I will mark the mags and mark which ones mess up again if any do. Gun was disassembled and cleaned with my new Otis cleaning kit a week before I shot it. Only have about 50 rounds through it at this point anyhow. I don't think I'll buy any more mags at this point until I can pinpoint it as being a mag issue. Others are saying the Rem mags are actually quite good.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Yes. I stated above that the factory mags my R1 came with are the best ones I've ever seen. They're really sturdy and don't tilt. But you never know. Hopefully it is indeed the mags and not something with the pistol itself. Btw. Do you tap your mags to make sure they're all seated properly?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. I stated above that the factory mags my R1 came with are the best ones I've ever seen. They're really sturdy and don't tilt. But you never know. Hopefully it is indeed the mags and not something with the pistol itself. Btw. Do you tap your mags to make sure they're all seated properly?
Yes, I was agreeing that others on other forums had commented on how nice the mags are. A guy I work with was telling me to cycle by hand and watch what happens inside the mag and the action area, he was saying the last round or two in the magazine seem to creep forward in the magazine slightly, and they can hit on the slide lock I guess? I'll have to check that out. Seems like exactly what happened. He purchased three of these guns the same time I did, one enhanced model and two standard models. His standard model did the same thing on him once, and it locked the slide back when he shot it. Interesting.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
on my 1911, touching the slide stop doesnt do anything, but on my BHP if my thumbs rides it, it has issues sometimes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh and as far as the mags go, seating them into the pistol, there is quite a bit of resistance once you get it about 9/10 of the way in, so you more or less have to give it a solid tap on the bottom with your palm to seat it. It would probably be hard to mess that up once you realize it needs that smack to seat.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took the 1911 out for some more shooting this past weekend. Put probably 150 rds through it, a couple different shooters, three of the OEM Rem magazines, a variety of ammo and not a single failure of any type with it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Took the 1911 out for some more shooting this past weekend. Put probably 150 rds through it, a couple different shooters, three of the OEM Rem magazines, a variety of ammo and not a single failure of any type with it.
You'd be hard pressed to find a new semi-auto pistol that doesn't fail in the first 200 rounds. 1911s especially. You have to break in semi-autos. Unless you spend $1000, in that case it should arrive smooth as cold butter.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The first time I went out to shoot this I had my SR45 with me, both brand new, both unfired. The 1911 is definitely the more expensive of those two and I had and still have zero failures with the SR. The 1911 had three FTF's in the first 60 rounds or so, but has since not had an issue. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, just didn't know until I put more through it. Seems to have worked itself out well. The Remington's had quite a bit of crud in them new compared to the Rugers I have. The Remingtons definitely needed a good cleaning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts