New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to buy a good rifle for hunting yet stay in a low budget as i dont hunt much lol. i am seeing way to many mixed reviews on this gun. can anyone who owns or has fired one chime in? thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
could this thread be moved to the general Rifle Section. thanks.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
My brother has one in .243 I'm not too fond of it. The stock feels very cheap and the bolt has a lot of play in it when its fully back.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I have a Rem. 770 in .308. There is a little slop in the bolt as sean mentioned, but with a decent scope and some good quality lube on the bolt, it does the job just fine. I like my 770...once your scope is dialed in and you're using halfway decent match grade .308 ammo, it's a tack driver. I fully intend on using it for deer hunting this year.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
My friend has a 770 in .270Win. I've personally shot it maybe a hundred times, and he has shot it many more and taken a few deer with it. You'll get a lot of "just buy a 700" and "770 bolts suck and there is no accessories for them" etc. I can't say anything bad about them. Yes, they aren't 700s, but the key is "low budget".

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the input guys.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
when I was in the market for a cheap .308 I fondled both the savage Axis Remington 770 I preferred the savage and that's what I purchased.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would just like to note that there are 0 parts available for this gun - it must be sent to a certified Remington Armorer in order to replace/repair anything. I should know - I have one in 30-06, and a portion of my bolt assembly broke. I could easily fix this if I could get my hands on the part (requires no gunsmithing). I called up remington, they said I have to send it out, I asked them how much it would cost, and they said they would send me a quote once I had shipped it out. So instead of being able to buy a part for an easy fix, I get to ship out at my expense and get quoted a mystery price, which If I don't like I have to pay out to ship it back to me as well. Not too happy.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thats no good. Sucks. I have sent guns (pistols) to both Ruger and Sig and both were shipped each way for free and fixed for feee. My friend sent a sub-2000 back to Kel-tec for free and same thing fixed for free.

I would just like to note that there are 0 parts available for this gun - it must be sent to a certified Remington Armorer in order to replace/repair anything. I should know - I have one in 30-06, and a portion of my bolt assembly broke. I could easily fix this if I could get my hands on the part (requires no gunsmithing). I called up remington, they said I have to send it out, I asked them how much it would cost, and they said they would send me a quote once I had shipped it out. So instead of being able to buy a part for an easy fix, I get to ship out at my expense and get quoted a mystery price, which If I don't like I have to pay out to ship it back to me as well. Not too happy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that worries me.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Not that I'm looking at them, but if I was, that would totally turn me off.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Have you looked at Howa's I have two 223 varmint supreme and 308 Axiom, Howa makes the Vanguard for Weatherby the are very well made and my have a model that fits your budget

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Don't expect a quick 2nd shot, the bolt binds on the way back in...it sucks. but accurate? oh man for the price it's worth it
This can be fixed. But seriously, For the price, just drop another 100 and get a 700

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's not a 700, but I have been more than happy with my 770. Mine is in 30-06, and I am pretty sure I am the limiting factor in terms of accuracy. The stock isn't great, the trigger is nothing special, and the bolt is sticky, but for 300$ I got a hunting rifle that was ready to go.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I got my daughter a new Stevens 200 for $275 in 25-06 as her first hunting gun with just a Nikon pro-staff on it.Nice little/light gun that shoots great and a good price IMO....I would go savage over Remington in bolts any-day,but im not a bolt fan for hunting!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts