New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to buy a good rifle for hunting yet stay in a low budget as i dont hunt much lol. i am seeing way to many mixed reviews on this gun. can anyone who owns or has fired one chime in? thanks.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
could this thread be moved to the general Rifle Section. thanks.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
I have a Rem. 770 in .308. There is a little slop in the bolt as sean mentioned, but with a decent scope and some good quality lube on the bolt, it does the job just fine. I like my 770...once your scope is dialed in and you're using halfway decent match grade .308 ammo, it's a tack driver. I fully intend on using it for deer hunting this year.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
My friend has a 770 in .270Win. I've personally shot it maybe a hundred times, and he has shot it many more and taken a few deer with it. You'll get a lot of "just buy a 700" and "770 bolts suck and there is no accessories for them" etc. I can't say anything bad about them. Yes, they aren't 700s, but the key is "low budget".

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the input guys.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
1,224 Posts
I would just like to note that there are 0 parts available for this gun - it must be sent to a certified Remington Armorer in order to replace/repair anything. I should know - I have one in 30-06, and a portion of my bolt assembly broke. I could easily fix this if I could get my hands on the part (requires no gunsmithing). I called up remington, they said I have to send it out, I asked them how much it would cost, and they said they would send me a quote once I had shipped it out. So instead of being able to buy a part for an easy fix, I get to ship out at my expense and get quoted a mystery price, which If I don't like I have to pay out to ship it back to me as well. Not too happy.

· Registered
737 Posts
Thats no good. Sucks. I have sent guns (pistols) to both Ruger and Sig and both were shipped each way for free and fixed for feee. My friend sent a sub-2000 back to Kel-tec for free and same thing fixed for free.

I would just like to note that there are 0 parts available for this gun - it must be sent to a certified Remington Armorer in order to replace/repair anything. I should know - I have one in 30-06, and a portion of my bolt assembly broke. I could easily fix this if I could get my hands on the part (requires no gunsmithing). I called up remington, they said I have to send it out, I asked them how much it would cost, and they said they would send me a quote once I had shipped it out. So instead of being able to buy a part for an easy fix, I get to ship out at my expense and get quoted a mystery price, which If I don't like I have to pay out to ship it back to me as well. Not too happy.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that worries me.

· Banned
5,971 Posts
Not that I'm looking at them, but if I was, that would totally turn me off.

· Registered
422 Posts
It's not a 700, but I have been more than happy with my 770. Mine is in 30-06, and I am pretty sure I am the limiting factor in terms of accuracy. The stock isn't great, the trigger is nothing special, and the bolt is sticky, but for 300$ I got a hunting rifle that was ready to go.

· Banned
1,269 Posts
I got my daughter a new Stevens 200 for $275 in 25-06 as her first hunting gun with just a Nikon pro-staff on it.Nice little/light gun that shoots great and a good price IMO....I would go savage over Remington in bolts any-day,but im not a bolt fan for hunting!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.