New York Firearms Forum banner

Remington 700 VTR in .223

8K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  niacin 
#1 ·
Can you shoot 5.56 out of this rifle safely. I looked around online and could not find a definitive answer. Can I get it rechambered in wylde? Maybe meketrefe could help me out. Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
I emailed Remington that question a little while ago. They said NO. All the manufactors seem to say no. Then there are people who have been doing it without any ill effects for years. There are some .223 handloads that have higher pressure than the 5.56. If it was really a problem, I think I would have found an artical and/or a photo on the web somewhere showing the results instead of just a warning to not do it. I haven't found any and believe me I've looked. The idea of being able to shoot Lake City OR .223 is very attractive to me.

#5 ·
I've fired several hundred PMC X-Tac 5.56 62gr rounds through my Rem 700 VTR chambered for .223. I did a lot of research on this before actually shooting them. The main problems mentioned were throat wear and chamber pressure. The rem 700 can definitely handle the pressure of a 5.56 round; and I had one problem: 62gr w/ the VTR 1:9 twist was not the best for accuracy. Other than that, it worked perfectly fine.

The most accurate round (IMHO) through the 1:9 barrel of the .223 VTR is a 40gr VMax. Specifically, Fiocci factory 40gr VMax .223 rounds in a 50 count box that cost $20—cant beat that! I also hand loaded several different weights, powders, and powder charges. 40gr was always consistant at 100 and 200 yards. I had a good load developed for the 55gr VMax but I dont have the info next to me. PM me if interested and I'll get it for you...if you are handloading at all.

#7 ·
I will ask. WHY???

Why risk your warranty and your safety?

A 5.56mm round in a .223 chamber is like a proof load. They probably run them through samples at the factory to make sure they won't explode. Sure most probably work fine but all it takes is one flaw in metal to kaboom.

#8 · (Edited)
Thats the case with any round with a metal flaw.

It's my understanding that the differences between a 5.56 round and a .223 round is extremely minimal...which is why a lot of people go ahead and use either. Also, any AR chambered in .223 can shoot 5.56 with no issue because the action and chamber can handle higher pressures.

Although I agree that it is a risk, and it may/ will void warranty if the manufacturer has the ability to determine whether you have fired a 5.56 round through a .223 chambered bolt rifle, if it's something you want to try and are willing to void warranty, I wouldnt assume there will be deadly consequences. A lot of people do it regularly.

This argument will always continue throughout the shooting world due to varying opinions.

#10 · (Edited)
It's my understanding that the differences between a 5.56 round and a .223 round is extremely minimal...which is why a lot of people go ahead and use either. Also, any AR chambered in .223 can shoot 5.56 with no issue because the action and chamber can handle higher pressures.
5.56x45 is supposed to handle 62,000 psi. .223 is supposed to handle 55,000 psi. If you put some 5.56mm rounds in a .223 chamber and it can exceed 62,000 psi because of the shorter throat and differences in pressure measurement standards.

NATO measures pressure at the case mouth. SAAMI measures .150" behind the case shoulder so you'd get a reading of 78,000 (SAAMI standard) psi if you fired a 5.56 round with an advertised pressure of 58,000 psi (CIP standard).

#12 ·
Yes, I understand that. What I don't understand is why aren't there any actual photos or reports of firearm failure or damage. You'd think there would by one or two considering how many people shoot NATO rounds in the .223.
i wont do it in my guns due to wearing em out

but at same time ive been around other that have done it without issue
ive never seen a blown chamber and im sure there has been one or two but i believe the issue is more a damaging the firearm type issue more than a blow up in your face deal

#17 ·
Dont' see the point in shooting 5.56 unless you are shooting a lot, and I mean a lot. Price difference is negligible and the VTR is made to be a factory tac driver and has tighter specs, so why risk it on a $800 gun for a few bucks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.