New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend told me he has been waiting for an mossberg MVP for a few months.
Definitely a nice addition to anyone's collection but they are so back-ordered that some might not see them
before they get to the nursing home.
At the same time it is hard not to wonder if the Remington 700, one of the most popular bolt action rifles in history doesn't have an option for this.
I have been playing with one of the actions I have and a scrap stock to see how this would integrate in the Rem 700.
Another option is the Savage 10, a very popular and accurate platform as well.

Does anyone has one converted or knows of some aftermarket solution?

Any thoughts, ideas?

Thanks.

=====================================================
Update: 5/23/2013

The idea worked! It was 50 minutes and the fitting was done. I took a galil/saiga adapter from a lot a friend sent me a while back and then
some mill time and presto!

BTW the longer magazine is a 5rounder Promag sells on a 20 rd body. (Go figure)

Now I need to buy a real stock like a Medallist sporter and a nice Weaver tactical or Vortex scope for the .223.
I actually want to rebarrel this in the 6x45 "long" to shoot some 95 and 105 grainers.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Interesting - I wonder how relibably the small bolt face would pick up and feed from a staggered round presentation? No feed ramps to guide the off-center bullet into the chamber, and the bolt face would be pushing the round from the corner (so to speak), not the top slice of the round like they would with a centered feed box mag, correct?

I would think with a round like .223 where the bullet is relatively short compared to the body of the brass may require really close fitting to get the rounds to feed under different bolt speeds, and to keep the rifle from a double feed jam if you short stroke the bolt.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the links.

I have an idea. This evening I am going to work on it. Minor machining will require to open up a bit from the bottom of the receiver as there
is no way otherwise a .223 magazine would feed reliably. It is not a huge deal as it seems only a few thousands and in the same angle
as the magazine lips would do.
So RoyP is right, you have to add to an already expensive part. I mean the the whole idea is to find an alternative to the AI bottom
metal, which I love BTW, but this way find a compatible solution to use AR magazines including VLD ones.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Wow I didn't know they were that hard to find. I was holding one in American Sportsman not too long ago...definitely post-SAFE act.

The MVP description states something about a modified action to allow reliable feeding from AR magazines. I don't know if that is just marketing or if there is something to it.

This is an interesting idea though. Magazines for my Savage are $90. So I just use it as if it was a fixed magazine rifle.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow I didn't know they were that hard to find. I was holding one in American Sportsman not too long ago...definitely post-SAFE act.

The MVP description states something about a modified action to allow reliable feeding from AR magazines. I don't know if that is just marketing or if there is something to it.

This is an interesting idea though. Magazines for my Savage are $90. So I just use it as if it was a fixed magazine rifle.
They have a small lever on the bolt head that helps pickup the cartridge....

To me this is not necessary and a couple of flutes would be more than plenty w/o taking much meat & support from the bolt.
But it does help with feeding reliability.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I will never buy anything from Buds Gun Shop, Cheaper than Dirt and many other alike.
I always go to my closest LGS. They always treat me well and I am supporting my town and the local economy.
If we have to wait 1 year or even pay a bit more so what?, then be it.
LGS need our support more than ever before thanks to criminal Cuomo.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, here is the test subject. For this I am using a Remington 700 varmint - $400 dicks specials - I had laying around never fired.
These are a great baseline for this type of tests. Heading downstairs now to the mill with calipers on hand.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok...
The idea worked! It was 50 minutes and the fitting was done. I took a galil/saiga adapter from a lot a friend sent me a while back and then
some mill time and presto!

BTW the longer magazine is a 5rounder Promag sells on a 20 rd body. (Go figure)

Now I need to buy a real stock like a Medallist sporter and a nice Weaver tactical or Vortex scope for the .223.
I actually want to rebarrel this in the 6x45 "long" to shoot some 95 and 105 grainers.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the Remington 700 stamped for 5.56?
The 700 factory barrel is stamped as .223 Remington.
I hardly shoot standard factory barrels and just keep the action from the whole package but in my experience factory
barrels are reamed with plenty of tolerances so they will be safe for 5.56 the same way the 308w chambers are safe for the
7.62x51.
I would be more worrier about the source of some ammunition like some unknown surplus but with good quality 5.56 the
rifle should not give any problems. Check with other sources but I would doubt you find any issues with it.
This one is going to go up to a 6x45. Might do another .223 rem later but, if so it will be 22 incher in 1:7 twist with a wylde chamber.
I have other .223s so I am not worry about this although I like the combination is coming together, simple and w/o spending those
crazy dollars on an aluminum bottom metal.

I am going to sell the stock barrel.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW... It seems this is a very easy cost effective alternative to the MVP and in the end it is the venerable Remington 700.
No need for any introductions here in terms of accuracy and reliability.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I did something similar with my savage 308.

Editted to add:
I modified the magazine, not the magazine inlet. I cut off a 308 mag and attached it to a savage mag top end. Works like a charm. I got the design from rat mags.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I did something similar with my savage 308.

Editted to add:
I modified the magazine, not the magazine inlet. I cut off a 308 mag and attached it to a savage mag top end. Works like a charm. I got the design from rat mags.
that seems to work well for the 308 but not reliably for the 223. Rat was working on 223 but gave up because he couldn't work out the feeding issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.