New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rifle- rem 700vtr in .308

It seems like no matter how many different brands of ammo I try, they all do the same thing. When initially closing the bolt over the round, I pretty much have to hammer it down to close it. However, once close on a round it opens and closes smooth as butter.im pretty sure this isn't normal, and I've sent it back to Remington twice and they can never seem to find a problem... I've tried almost every brand/type of .308 amok and it all has the same issue... Suggestions? Has anyone else had this happen?

And yes, I've cleaned the rifle myself and had it professionally cleaned as well with the same crappy results!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Sounds like how mine acts when firing rounds loaded with reloaded brass and the shoulder needs to be bumped back a bit. Of course you're using factory ammo though so that doesn't help you much.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any noticeable marks on the brass?
not from what I can tell, but some of the rims look as if there is a small scratch, not too deep though. Part of me thought it could be the extractor struggling to slip ove the round, but I would think Remington would have caught it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Could there be something (poo-poo) in the extractor recess making it difficult to slip over the rim. With the bolt out of the rifle will a case easily slip under the extractor and into the bolt face?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
not from what I can tell, but some of the rims look as if there is a small scratch, not too deep though. Part of me thought it could be the extractor struggling to slip ove the round, but I would think Remington would have caught it.
the last two I bought had extractor issues...send it back or take it to a good smith...the groove was not cut properly on the last two I bought

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Do you know anyone with the same rifle, whose bolt you could try?

I don't understand how they can't diagnose/find the problem, if you say it does it with every single brand of ammo you try(?) If it acts up for them and they can't fix it, one would think they'd re-imburse you or send a new rifle to your FFL.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Trying a new bolt was how I determined the chamber was not the issue as they had presumed. Replacing the extractor looks like the next.

Trying a new bolt, as in whole new bolt for mine may be after that.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Color a cartridge with a sharpie, it may show you where the problem is.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with the cocking of the firing pin. You say it is a bitch to load a round but after you load a round it is real easy to open and close the bolt. The only thing that has changed is that the firing pin is now cocked. Have you tried just opening and closing the bolt and firing on a snap cap?

·
Registered
369 Posts
if you cycle the bolt w/o a cartridge, same results. don't know if you can dry fire that, feed snap cap after initially cycling the bolt. Results?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fired a snap cap today based on suggestions and I also sharpied a empty casing as well. Snap cap fired had the same results, HOWEVER... There is a consistent marking all around the lips from the extractor! So to be sure, I popped it out knowing darn well I don't have a replacement and it might not be the problem...

But it was!!! With no extractor it will feed blanks like its nothing. Closes smooth as butter. It was a pain having to rod it 10 times to clear it but in the end I have contacted a gunsmith up in Clarendon PA who will have a new extractor on hand for me Thursday and I can bring it in and have it back the same day. He also said he has seen quite a few 700's in all sorts of calibers with this problem... Apparently there are burs left on the extractors and Remington doesn't polish them out quite enough...

Appreciate all the help, and Bill, the sharpie was a great idea and cheap too!!!

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Great. Glad you were able to figure it out on your own.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So one extractor replacement later, and a little bolt face machining and it's fixed! Apparently the bolt was not to spec and required a little more off of the inside edge behind the extractor. Not only was the edge rough on the extractor, but add on a lack of room to depress and that will cause the problem I had. Even the extractor from brownells was a little rough, so he polished it out and the entire movement is now flawless! I have been thinking about converting to the sako, but until I do this will keep me happy. Best part of all is that he was nice enough to do it completely free of charge! At first I thought he was going to jack up the price on servicing my wife's .22, but he did that for free too! He told me after it was because I was in the military and that he respected my decision to serve my country so he always tries to take care of us. Really great guy IMO!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts