New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with these? I have the chance to buy one at a pretty reasonable cost, might have 10 rounds down the tube. I'm looking around and it looks like 7mm RUM is pretty hard to come by though? Looks like Remington discontinued this caliber for the BDL as well. I think the gun itself is a good buy, but is it really worth it? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It is a thumper of a round for sure, and expensive as well. It is designed as a long range hunting round primarily, so you do not see many in NY.

If the price is really good, you could rebarrel to a different and more popular magnum caliber in either a long or short action - 300WM and 300WSM come to mind first.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good option I had not thought of. I think I can get the rifle for ~$400 or so? Seemed like a pretty good deal for a gun that had so little use. The 300WSM would be pretty cool. Where's a good place to look for prices on parts to convert it over? Just a barrel needed? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Barrel has to be switched for sure, if it is DBM then you may need some type of bottom metal for a short action and 300WSM mags, or maybe spacers in the back of the 7RUM mag to move the 300WSM forward. Not sure if you need to fool with the bolt stop to get more of a short action bolt throw or not.

Unless you really love Remington actions and the stock, it may not be worth $400 to you just to convert. If it was me, I would say that if I could rebarrel and modify the existing mag or mag well to feed 300WSM I would consider it, but if I had to replace bottom metal, possibly alter inlets in the stock, etc, I would not bother. If the round count in the barrel is really low (say under 100 rounds or so) you might be able to get a decent price for the take off barrel on the used market. 7RUM has a deserved reputation as a serious barrel burner.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I think I'm going to pass on it for now. It would make sense if I planned to keep it in that caliber, but I thin I'd rather just start with a platform I want and can get ammo easily for. Appreciate the input!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Very nice caliber for long range (400 plus yards) Sheep or maybe deer aswell but that ammo is REALLY expensive and very hard to get. I really do not advise a rifle in one of those odd ball calibers. I had a remington 700 classic in 300 weatherby magnum about 15 years ago and i loved the rifle and the caliber was awsome when i hunted PA farmland deer but i could not afford to shoot it and sold it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts