New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question , I have a Remington model 1100 12 ga . yesterday I went to the range and found it not cycling properly . most of the time the bolt would lock open and the feeder would only go halfway and feed the next round . has any one had this problem ?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
BTW my 870 has had zero problems since 1986, I tell guys to get a pump.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Take off forearm, barrel and gas seal. wipe off tube and put a very thin coat of Rem oil on tube. Clean seal , install a new o-ring, be sure gas ports in barrel are clear of powder fouling. reassemble and see if problem still exists. Usually a good cleaning does the trick.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for the wrong description what is the name of the part that lifts the round from the magazine tube to the chamber ? that is what seems to be not working , also the bolt locks in the open position . I have new O-rings on order and at the time the gun was clean and lubricated . before firing it the bolt seemed difficult to pull back . hope this is better info . thank you

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Get new o-rings installed then you can see if that fixes it. I am betting it will.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The link from de17walt has some good info in it. In addition to new a O-ring make sure the piston/piston seal is installed properly and the gas ports in the barrel are clean. The difficulty in pulling the charging handle/bolt back is a little concerning so just to be on the safe side give the bolt assembly, link (tuning fork thingy) and trigger group a good once over. What kind of loads were you using? My 1100 will occasionally fail to cycle low velocity 1 oz loads so I stay with 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4 dram or better.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
sorry for the wrong description what is the name of the part that lifts the round from the magazine tube to the chamber ? that is what seems to be not working , also the bolt locks in the open position . I have new O-rings on order and at the time the gun was clean and lubricated . before firing it the bolt seemed difficult to pull back . hope this is better info . thank you
That's the elevator.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone have some new parts on order will let you know how it goes . that link was very helpful.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Make sure the gas seals and ring are not assembled wrong. If they are in backwards it won't cycle properly. I hooked up a friend on a deal on a "broken 1100" I found and all it needed was to be put back together properly. Mine has a sticker on the slide mechanism that illustrates how it goes together, but you can look up diagrams online. Its easy to put together backwards. Also, like mentioned, a good cleaning and new seals may be in order. The good thing is, its an 1100, so there can't be much wrong with it unless something is badly damaged. The seals will last for ages too, my 1100 is from the 70's and I am pretty sure it still has the original seals, I got it from my uncle and I don't think he ever tore it down, he definetly never cleaned it but it cycled just fine as it was when I got it, lots of dirt and grime in it. Gotta love Remington's.

Also, what type of rounds were you firing? If it was a real low power round it may not have enough juice to engage the cocking mechanism fully. If your using light kick home defense style rounds that could be all it is. I haven't found anything my 1100 doesn't like but I also haven't shot a lot of different loads with it, just buckshot and a few types of bird/skeet loads.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thanks everyone have some new parts on order will let you know how it goes . that link was very helpful.
Folks around here tend to be helpful when they can. Glad you are on the road to fixing the problem, let us know the end result!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts