New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about building a 870 Bullpup......What options are out there as far as kits go to build one ?? I see one kit made by Bullpup Unlimited.....Are they the only one available and if so has anyone had any experience with one ?? Fit and function ??
Thanks a bunch....:)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone ?? C'mon you war mongers I know you better than that....;)

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
This summer while attending a shotgun training class someone, could be a member here, had one.

During the class we ran malfunction drills and had the opportunity to fire some of our classmate's guns. I found this setup to be ergonomically uncomfortable and not user friendly. Due to the rail height it also caused the sights and red dot optic to be too high and create a poor cheekweld.

Between the cost of the kit and the cost of the sights and optic one could purchase another 870 but to each their own.

The real problem for me was that the owner experienced a malfunction that could not be cleared easily due to the kits design. The malfunction actually required the gun being taken off the line and tools needed to be utilized to disassemble the gun to clear the malfunction. I take issue with spending lots of money to turn a reliable gun into something I would not stake my life on for aesthetic purposes.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Seems a tad foolish to have the action right in your face if you shoulder it, not for me.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'd like to see side rails above the trigger group on the BU870. It would be a great place to mount a shell holder. I have tried mounting them on the rail with a 90 degree rail adapter and the shells just stick up way to high.

My second complaint would be the lack of front handgaurd options. I'd like to see a mechanism built that allows the use of the OEM handguard or OEM fit handguards like the Magpul 870 one. This one is a little large for my hands and it's not that "grippy".

My last complaint regards the sling mounts. I do not like the feel of the sling mounts. They do not feel as nice as the stock itself. They seem like an afterthought. I would like to see swivel mounts instead. With a swivel mount, you can basically select whatever loop you want or just a QD dedicated sling like the Magpul MS4. One in the buttstock would be nice.

I've fired 100 rounds through mine. I've had no issues with anything coming loose and the action still feels pretty damn good.

I would buy it again.

I actually did a huge review on this months ago.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Seems a tad foolish to have the action right in your face if you shoulder it, not for me.
i considered one until i realized that since i'm a left handed shooter the chamber would be in my face.

looks like a decent kit with good reviews.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well...I don't see why that would be foolish. Regardless of what gun you're using, if the wind is pushing into your face...you're going to get fumes and smoke...in your face. I didn't encounter any issues due to the action location. It's an HD gun. No doubt. It has the benefit of the 18" barrel. I wouldn't use questionable custom loads or anything that you wouldn't fire inside the confines of your home.

·
Registered
780 Posts
i considered one until i realized that since i'm a left handed shooter the chamber would be in my face.

looks like a decent kit with good reviews.
This would make a horrible south paw shotgun lol. Unless you like the taste of spent casings!

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Well...I don't see why that would be foolish. Regardless of what gun you're using, if the wind is pushing into your face...you're going to get fumes and smoke...in your face. I didn't encounter any issues due to the action location. It's an HD gun. No doubt. It has the benefit of the 18" barrel. I wouldn't use questionable custom loads or anything that you wouldn't fire inside the confines of your home.
Yeah, hot wind with metal debris embedded in the flesh of your face is the same as smelling smoke.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yeah, hot wind with metal debris embedded in the flesh of your face is the same as smelling smoke.
My goal here is NOT to sound like a ********.

Since you have no experience with this weapon chassis... and your comments indicate that you have done no actual research... I don't think you're in a position to offer any credible advice.

I actually own this setup. It doesn't blow anything in your face. It's still a R870 and the chances of the breach exploding are the same as a standard chassis model.

So, from my experience, and the hundreds of satisfied customers that own this product (see online reviews) you have nothing to worry about shooting this setup. You will not get any hot gasses or metals in your face using it.

If you're posting, you have access to the worlds largest information medium. Use it.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Directly from the manufacturer's website describing this product: "Rugged shell deflector for left handed shooters" ;)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I'm pretty sure evileyeswatchin (one of our resident mods) has one and he seemed to like it.

Personally though, I'm not sure I'd want one; especially at the price they go for. If they were less expensive I might be tempted to experiment but it's pretty pricey for something I have a feeling I wouldn't want to keep. I absolutely have no experience whatsoever with that particular kit but in general when I hear "bullpup kit" that usually means a 'terrible trigger' sign in blinking red goes off in my head. Sure, that might not be the case here for all I know, though it does have a very.. plasticy look to it and what appears to be an all plastic trigger. Being SUPER picky about triggers, that's a red flag to me. Sight unseen, I just don't think It would be for me... but that's just me.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Trigger is fine. Doesn't feel squishy or anything. Very responsive. When you're on the stock, you can hear the trigger bars moving inside the stock though.

If you were to customize your 870 with rails, new stock and for-grip, you would spend over half, if not the amount this stock costs. And you still wouldn't have a compact package with this large a rail at this price point.

Keep in mind that there are NO modifications to the gun itself.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
870 tactical: 540.00
bullpup kit: 360.00
Total: 900.00

add 100-150 and buy a Keltec ksg.

Then sell stock 870 parts:

stock set: 50.00
XS sights: 100.00

·
Registered
780 Posts
870 tactical: 540.00
bullpup kit: 360.00
Total: 900.00

add 100-150 and buy a Keltec ksg.

stock set: 50.00
XS sights: 100.00
My 870 express tactical wasn't even $400 at Gander.

There is no KSG out there you can actually buy for under $1500 if even $2000.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
My 870 express tactical wasn't even $400 at Gander.

There is no KSG out there you can actually buy for under $1500 if even $2000.
Your 870 must not have threaded barrel/removable mag extension.

and there are ksg's going in the 11-1300 range. I've been watching gunbroker for a couple weeks on them.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Mine is a 7rd capacity and I'm not sure if it has any inner threading for a choke.

The non-express version is more money.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I think you can use a knock off with some "minor mods" if another site i was at can be believed.

Also, from what i have read, the KSG's are not as reliable, and can only use the high collar (longer brass) rounds... so less options with what will cycle well.

I know that a few on the other forum said they used a knock off and the kit and were done for under $600. Well under after they sold the take off parts.

ETA - http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/4...nlimited_870_kit.html&light=Bullpup|Unlimited

Also, even if you get $35 for the take off stuff, you go from $585 to $550... just saying, its NOWHERE near a KSG and has better reliability and can be converted back if you want to. No permanent modification required.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts