New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I pull my bolt back and push it forward on any speed but lightning quick, the sear on the timney trigger is not catching the bolt to hold the pin back. I have sunk $2100 into this gun and it has never had a single round of ammunition through it. I am now too nervous to attempt it because I don't want the damn thing to go off without me pulling the trigger.

Help anyone?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Have you self adjusted the pull at all? Sounds like there may not be enough tension on the trigger..

this is from Timney:
To adjust your wear engagement back to the factory settings you will need to follow the steps as outlined below. (Always make sure the rifle is unloaded)
  • Put the rifle in a vise, I would recommend a cloth or towel to avoid scratching the blue on your barrel.
  • Remove the stock by loosening the screws on the trigger guard and front of the ammo trap.
  • Put the rifle on safe.
  • The screw on the back of the trigger is your sear engagement. You will need to loosen the nut holding the adjustment screw in place. Using an Allen or Hex wrench you will turn the sear engagement screw clockwise until it stops. This screw will tighten until it hits the safety. Once you have firm contact you will need to turn the screw about one flat counter-clockwise to allow the safety to work. It's a fine line between the proper sear engagement, the safety moving properly and a creepy trigger. You want to be able to move the safety (watch the detent moving in and out) and still have a crisp trigger.
  • Once the safety/sear engagement is set you can adjust the poundage screw on the front of the trigger, it's the one with the nut. Loosen the nut so you can move the set screw. It's very important to have spring pressure on the trigger, with out it the trigger will not return to the ready position. This means the trigger and sear don't align properly and the trigger will not hold the sear in place when cocking the bolt. The outcome of the trigger not holding the sear is the firing pin will drop as soon as you close the bolt. We recommend 3lbs on the trigger but it will go down as low as 1.5 lbs normally. In order to get to 1.5lbs of trigger pull you must have the sear engagement properly set and still maintain spring pressure on the trigger.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It works perfectly if it is taken out of the stock, but as soon as I put it back in the stock and put the screws back in, doesn't work and now the bolt is sticking so bad that i feel like I am going to break the handle right off with how much I have to yank on it to get it loose. I have no ammo in it at all.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It works perfectly if it is taken out of the stock, but as soon as I put it back in the stock and put the screws back in, doesn't work and now the bolt is sticking so bad that i feel like I am going to break the handle right off with how much I have to yank on it to get it loose. I have no ammo in it at all.
That sucks! Did you bed your action? maybe the moving parts of your timney (saftey pin that blocks the sear) are binding or maybe your bolt stop? I know after bedding mine and cleaning it up. I totally forgot about the moving parts and had to go back with a dremel and make some room.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Sounds like have found your problem, time to get out the dremel or sandpaper! Time to play "find the sticking point"

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The trigger assembly isn't catching on anything, it lays on an aluminum bedding (b&c a3 stock), when I turn the bolt to release it feels and sounds like something is grinding inside the bolt where the firing pin is. Everything was working just fine 2 weeks ago. Ill post links to my 2 failed attempts at releasing the bolt. All work on it was professionally done as well.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<<< in stock

<<< out of stock

Sorry for the odd noises.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Just throwing ideas out... it happens in the stock with the action screws in...Does it happen in the stock without the action screws? Is it possible the front action screw is somehow too long and is getting in the way of the bolt as it rotates?

EDIT:
Just saw the videos. in your earlier post you said it worked fine out of the stock... looks like its gotten worse.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it got worse and the front screw as far as I can tell that was provided as a replacement is actually a hair shorter than the original one. Ill recheck.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
That trigger installation is not ok. The system should allow the sear that charges the firing pin move freely and it is catching below somewhere so that is why it is so hard or impossible to open the bolt. don't force it! the bolt will not break but you might break something in the firing group.
Take out the entire trigger and see what you find. One thing you might want to try is to put some sharpe in the potential contact points and then assemble with care. This might tell you all the points where there is metal to metal contact and hopefully those where there should not be any contact. Did you install the trigger right and square?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If the work was "professionally" done, then take it back to the same person and have them fix it - after all, they would likely assume liability for anything not working properly (especially where safety is concerned). Also, do you still have the original trigger? If so, reinstall it and see if the problem goes away - if so, then the Timney needs to be refit to the action. If not, then your problems are more complex (again, bring back to the pro or another qualified gunsmith).

Good luck to you...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Is your Bolt stop moving freely? Like meketrefe said. full disassemble. inspect. and reassemble...

Just incase you need help...

Remington 700 Trigger Install

EDIT: The trigger install is a bit into the video and just reminded me... are you sure your trigger pins are in the right places? long pin in the rear short in the front.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got it loose enough to show what the bolt does in the stock and now it does the exact same thing out of the stock. By the way, it's stuck again. FML

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Red Hawk Rifles did the trigger work, I haven't adjusted anything myself simply because I don't want the finger to be pointed back at me over user error. It does sit in square though and nothing is touching that shouldn't be touching so far as I can tell. It is late and I'm thinking about taking it to a local gunsmith this weekend to avoid anymore shipping charges. Ill be taking pictures of every nook and cranny before and after the sharpie thing. RHR is finally sending my original trigger back tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yea i have only 1 other trouble shoot, but i don't think it applies because you don't have a base on yet... Other than that i'm currently out of ideas. Definitely call RHR tomorrow and ask them whats up. Maybe they have an idea... Then take it to a smith when you can. I am really interested in this. Post any updates.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will do.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Unless you understand the issue and feel 100% confident take it to a professional place.
It must be something simple but it is very hard to help via posts. Try the sharpee and take your time. do not force anything.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ill do my best

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I finally got it fixed. The trigger was never set by RHR. The seer or however you spell it was set way too low and the trigger pull was over 5lbs. I am happier than a pig in mud right now. I can't wait to shoot it finally.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts