New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...just joined and would appreciate some info about your awesome new laws.

I have been living in MT the past 18 months and am returning to NY to be with family. (yes, flame away, I shouldnt leave but family is family)

I have a couple ARs and am curious if I can bring them back...all the literature in the new act is geared toward residents.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
No, You can not bring them. You needed to be a NY resident in possession of the AR at the time of enactment.

You could make them featureless or disassemble into parts.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'm really not quite sure how to answer, so I'll answer the pre SAFE Act way. You have to have a pinned stock, no flash hider, and your muzzle break has to be pinned and welded (if you have one on). No 30 round magazines (not sure if they were legal where you lived). I believe that is everything, others will chime in if I am missing something.

Now, post SAFE Act, I'm not sure if you can lawfully bring it into the state. But you already own it... I don't know the answer to the question. Hopefully someone will know. Talk to an FFL in NY if you are here. See what they say.

Looks like Ray beat me to it!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Law is for possession resident or not. How long do you plan on staying? If your not staying very long don't do anything you don't have to register until April of next year. If your coming back and staying you can have your ar(s) but if there post 94 ban they have to be made ny compliant. Leave your hi cap mags with a buddy in mt and if this law isn't repealed you will have to register them by April of next year.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
You can not bring them with you. Leave them with a family member or dealer in Montana if your can. Otherwise sell them.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'd give my left nut to get out of this schitthole and move to a free state like Montana.

that better be SOME family, just sayin'........

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Do you have any trusted family in any state other than NY? I'd advise leaving the firearms with them. That way, if the law passes (more like WHEN) you can retrieve them. Depending on quantity. Buy a small gun cabinet to put them in, may make it easier to find a home for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts