New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think im going to commit to reloading, starting this summer. Since watching Hickock45's reloading vids ikno i want a progressive not a single stage. My only thing is im not really sure which company to go with. Anyone have any recommendations? Links to good deals would be a help too. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I jumped in about 2 years ago. I went with a Dillon XL650 and could not be happier. I reload 9/40/45/223 on a regular basis. You are going to get many answers, you have decide what will work best for you.

Many Good discussions here & Brian is a great guy!

Reloading FAQs - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Dillon / Dillon Faqs / Dillon Skus - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I spent a few months researching before I bought, there is tons and tons of information available on "The Net" to help make your decision.

Side-by-side: All 4 5-station progressive reloading presses! « Ultimate Reloader

Here is a nice comparison side by side.

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the links, def full of very helpful and wanted information.

·
Registered
905 Posts
i went the RCBS single stage press years ago. they were the leader at the time and still have a great warranty that they go above and beyond with. i know that since other company's are making really good products. so just do as you are now, ask questions and look at the products. with the increased prices of reloading components that the amount of shooting that i do has fallen off a bit. so for me a single stage press works just fine and i have never felt burdened by it. reloading is a great experience because it makes you think of all the factors to build a great flying round. there are a lot of little teaks involved that make it fun & frustrating at the same time.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
If someone didn't reload before the best thing is to start simple, single stage, one by one.
The main thing is to read a good reloading book. Maybe watch a few videos. Then reload a few single stage to learn how to reload them.
And then read the book again and see how many things you still need to learn and then later get into progressive.
Progressive is not to learn about reloading but to learn how to automate reloading.

BTW for the RCBS they have a nice simple setup that couples to the single state called piggyback.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know people have differing views on this but If you are just getting into reloading I would suggest not getting a progressive press. Yes you can load rounds faster but it takes some of the thought process out of it. I purchased a LEE 4 hole turrett press and have been very happy with it. You can very easily have different Calibers setup ...... Just drop the Turrett it. It is Auto indexing with every handle pull you complete a single step on a single round. I can Load 100 rounds in a 1/2 hour. As others have said do your research and ask questions. I may switch to a progressive press at some point but I am glad I did not start out reloading on one.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If someone didn't reload before the best thing is to start simple, single stage, one by one.
I disagree! I got the same advice (Bad IMHO) over & over again when I asked the "Internet Forum Gods"! You can learn just fine on a progressive, take your time & have patience. I focused on quality not quantity.

OP: If you want a progressive get a progressive!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dillon, Dillon, Dillon. and dont look back. 550B or 650 depending on budget and needs. If you plan to do alot of rifle go with 650 if not 550B with case feeder will turn out more than you will shoot unless you shoot daily. I can turn out 500 rounds an hour without breaking a sweat and answering the kids 1000 questions on my 550B. And caliber switches takes less than a minute if using same primer size 10 minutes if I need to change.

My press is second hand and was purchased from a friend who bought it as a ???500 before there was a 550B 20 years ago and still runs like new. Have called them for part and they send them out no charge with no questions. I stripped a couple of the screws on the primer tube and called to purchase new since it was clearly my fault and they replaced at no charge and didn't even care that I said it was my fault.

Good price and lots of help over on brianenos forum.

Good Luck

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive been looking around and i think ima go with either the Dillion or Hornady.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would recommend learning with a single stage and graduate to a progressive once you figure out what you're doing---but get both if you can! I still use my single stage for precision rounds and progressive for AR plinkers.

The only reason I have a progressive is because once I started, everyone decided I could make them bullets too. I told my father he would have to buy me a progressive if he wanted me to make him bullets. Now I have one.

I would go with Dillon brand components and Hornady as a secondary recommendation. Both have quality and great manufacturer warranties. Hornady gives free bullets with the purchase of most of their components.

Reloading is a huge investment!!!! But, you do save on ammo once you figure everything out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts